ATX Community

1099 from college as stipend for research

schirallicpa

ummmmmmm- I must say I would like to have gotten a stipend in college for 30K to do research.....but......

I was going to put this as other income and be done with it.  But then the father sends me all this information about her travel and expenses doing this research.  The thought that it is SE income had not crossed my mind.  Do you guys consider this SE income?  Honestly - it's a lot less costly to her to just have ordinary income.  And I have had other students who have gotten stipends to work for a college that I have just called it other income.  

Much thanks for your guys' 2 cents on this.  (They don't make the cent sign on the keyboard anymore do they. Wait. Did they used to?)

7 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

Do you guys consider this SE income?

It depends on the facts and circumstances.  I believe the key is who has ownership of the research.

I think in most cases the research is done independently and does not rise to the level of a trade or business.

I don't have a cite right at the moment, but you should find your answer in the Pubs or IRS website.