ATX Community

what to do - WI?

WITAXLADY

I did my mom's taxes for years.. She passed away in 2020 and my brother is now PR. I prepared the 2018,19 and 2020 for the FPCredit. Been getting it for 20 years..

I turned them over to him to review and file. His CPA says she does not qualify. The estate has already lost the $1875 for 2018 - soon she will lose that for 2019 and then 2020. I talked to him and he says his guy must be correct..

What can I do - My attorney would not get involved.

Mail it in using his address? Sign as me for him?

Let it go?

My other family members won't fight him..

Best,

D WI

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/DOR Publications/pb503.pdf pages 5-6? If that's what you're asking about, did she qualify for those years or not? Does her estate qualify?

When there are dueling siblings, it's often better to step away. Unless the monies involved are large enough to cover lawyer's fees, you'll do better leaving it to the PR. It's tax season, so you have more productive returns to prepare than prior year returns for which you won't get paid by a brother who doesn't value your work. The PR has your opinion and the returns you prepared; he also has a CPA and can engage for returns from that source. Take a deep breath. Take good care of your clients who trust your work.

You can always vent to us. We love you!

• Like 3

Farmland preservation credit - based on acres enrolled in.. and no income limits - changed about 5 years ago - based on $$ program you are enrolled in adn # of acres.

So her/their (when Dad was alive) generated the $1,875 a year.

That is 3 (now2 years) x 1875/6 siblings - he is wasting! $600 - let it go!!??

I work hard to make that much!

D/WI

• Sad 1

My brother hasn't spoken to me for over 20 years.  He was POA and I was caretaker.  Will was a clean four-way split.  I still have no clue what his problem was (is).  He was the man in charge of the assets.

• 2 weeks later...

update - now he says he filed 2 years, not the earliest - mine to do! I gave them all to him! and it is in the report he sent to his attorney who sent it to my counsel who said What are you talking about!!

needs to end!

But glad some money was gotten and someday I will get my share unless he eats it all up traveling and paying for his gas reimbursement!!

gotta love them  - cant shoot em

D/WI