ATX Community

How to fix this - I know Abby had a post but I can't find it.

BulldogTom

@Abby Normal  What is the process for fixing this error?   I know you posted about it before and it worked for me but I can't find your post.   Lucky, this is on my laptop.   I fired it up because I am going out of town for a couple days and I wanted to bring it along.   If I need to, I can uninstall and re-install.   I have some time.

Thanks 

image.png.942a050972c1cb8a45e63a3a38bbfa33.png

Oddly, I can't find the ATX Database Repair batch files for 2022 or 2023. In the past you could edit the batch file for  the most recent year, and change the year in the script, but I'm left wondering if ATX has another database repair method now.

Turning off your anti-virus software is like walking outside naked....no one wants to do it and no one wants to see you do it.

Turned off my antivirus and restarted my services and everything is fine.   I guess if I only have to go through this every 3 years it won't kill me.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Turning off your anti-virus software is like walking outside naked....no one wants to do it and no one wants to see you do it."

Somewhat.  Turning off save and accurate AV is not wise for most. Not turning off the heuristic garbage foisted on unsuspecting users is worse than going outside nekkid.  Heuristics are simply wild guesses as to what someone might create in the future. They are the cause of most false positives, and issues like Tom likely had. The ability to correct an issue by turning off something proves the something was worse than useless.

How much time has Tom spent on this issue, caused by lousy AV? Worse yet, AV which does nothing all year is good, since most don't do stupid things, but AV which is often popping up "warnings" (usually false positives), just to get renewals, is robbery.

I will say it forever, use the AV which is part of your OS provider's offerings, which is updated almost daily by the OS, and don't waste a cent on third party AV. OR, at least, update your third party AV daily, and hope they are not defrauding you (and everyone else too) with their false positives.

• Like 2

As a programmer, I can tell you accurately and proven, when I used to try to recompile when some AV program was giving a false positive on my public software, changing something from upper to lower case, or moving one function in the order (so it would compile slightly different), would cause the AV program to consider the software safe.  Even worse, depending on the compression level I select (in my setup program), some AV's would trigger. (They are often looking for a pattern, not actually opening the file and examining it, so compression, which most use, can easily fool/trigger AV.)

That tells you how reliable the heuristic wild rear end guesses are, and how useless they are for the public to use. If I can cause the AV to safe my software by such simple means, a scammer pro can do so likely with automation. One can also ask an AV vendor to safe all of their software, by reputation, which is also alarming (if one wants to trust AV software).

Now, I don't bother. I know there is no garbage in my files, so I do not give in. When a person says I have an issue, I refer to then to virus total, which proves a current AV shows no issues, or the issue is a random AV (and not the 50+ others virus total uses to compare). Inevitably, it is a case of heuristics, or lack of checking daily or AV updates.

While I am fine with the opinion of many top experts, that modern AV is pointless with just modest safe hexing, I am good with using the AV from the OS maker (in case someone here uses my computer).  The real issue these days is preventing access to restricted folders (like ransom issues) and watching your incoming/outgoing internet hits (firewall). The modern OS can help protect from ransom issues, if one enables it. For email, I let my provider wash the mail through whatever AV they use and I don't open attachments I did not ask for. For firewall, I use a really "cool" product, Firewalla.

I am also of the experience and opinion one should, at all times, be ready to recover, prepared to find your computer/office missing or unavailable every single day.

• Like 1