ATX Community

1040-ES in ATX

BrewOne

I'm hitting a dead end in ATX, searching for a way to print 1040-ES vouchers for the spouse (with their SSN printed out).  Seems like that option was there, should be there, but I'm just not seeing how to pull it up. Thanks

If it is a MFJ return, the husband is usually the primary and the Estimate payments are pertinent to the entire return.  It doesn't matter who filed them until you file the SE form.  Then the credit goes to the proper person.  I have never given it much thought until you brought this up because of our Community Property rules.  In the morning, I will take a look at one of my returns with estimates.

7 hours ago, BrewOne said:

searching for a way to print 1040-ES vouchers for the spouse (with their SSN printed out).

I have never had to to that, but try duplicating the return and switch wife to primary taxpayer. 

Then change husbands SS# to something like 111-11-1111 so the duplicate return cannot be filed by mistake.

Use the duplicate strictly for printing the estimates.

Thanks.  I might just create some for her at irs.gov

I may have been thinking about when you enter the 1040-ES payments, you have the opportunity to enter them under the primary or the spouse.

This is a new client and she (the spouse) had vouchers with just her name and social on them, even though they filed jointly in 2022.  Maybe the IRS was still sending her the estimated payment packet (I haven't seen one of those in years but maybe they've never filed electronically before?)

I've twice run into situations where marriages dissolved (out of the blue as far as I was concerned) after filing and the spouse was making large estimated payments under their husband's social.  Both times I felt like I could have avoided a stressful situation if the vouchers had been under the Social of the one making the payments, not that they can't get screwed up anyway.

update:

This is the first year they will be e-filing--not sure how their previous preparer avoided it.  Anyway, she was still getting the 1040-ES packet in the mail but that will now stop.

It doesn't look to me there's any avoiding the problem of attribution unless you file separately.

• Like 2

Okay ... this is crass, and I apologize in advance, but put in a date of death in the current year for the person you don't want the vouchers SSN in, and the vouchers will show the surviving spouse's SSN; print the vouchers, and then delete the pretend DOD.  Hopefully that's not bad juju.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jasdlm said:

Okay ... this is crass, and I apologize in advance, but put in a date of death in the current year for the person you don't want the vouchers SSN in, and the vouchers will show the surviving spouse's SSN; print the vouchers, and then delete the pretend DOD.  Hopefully that's not bad juju.

Good idea jasdlm.  I just had that situation in real life.  Husband died.  I wasn't thinking about the ES vouchers until they printed out with just the spouse name.  I was wondering how I was going to get them only in her name but the program did it automatically.  Of course my DOD was real.

• Like 2