ATX Community

Clergy Schedule SE

Christian

I am adding clergy related business expenses and am in Line 2 (Schedule SE(1040)-Net Business Profit or (Loss) Worksheet. I am down to line 11 and need two more lines for items but see no toggle to add the additional lines. Does anyone have a solutional ?

5 minutes ago, Christian said:

If I reported a single figure I fear it may increase the possibility of getting increased  IRS scrutiny.

The purpose of the worksheet is to help you determine the net amount on line 2, it is not part of the tax return.  The IRS is not watching for an itemized list.

As far as that goes, you can just over ride line 2 of schedule SE.

• Like 2

Are you using the clergy worksheets provided in ATX? I believe it's worksheet 3 that calculates the SE subject amount (salary, Sch C profit and housing allowance less expenses).  I usually right click on the business expense line and create an itemized list there.  Then everything from that worksheet flows directly to the Sch SE.

• Like 1

The clergy worksheets are very good to use and reliable, at least they have been for me.  However, I do not see how to use the link described by gfizer when no Schedule C exists.  I have had clergy with and without Sch C income.  When no Sch C exists, I don't understand how it would be appropriate to list expenses there.  I have used the listing on SE as discussed.  Always ready to learn more!

• Like 2