ATX Community

Education Credit

Christian

A former dependent now age 19 still lives at home but earns some $19,000 working in food service. She has reentered college and is shown as a half time student on the 1098-T she received. I am sure her parents paid her $2000 or so tuition but if I am not mistaken she will still qualifies for the AOC on her own. She is a degree candidate. Is this correct ? 

I had a very similar situation recently. However she was a full time student living at home. The parents were paying her tuition over $8,000 and paying over 1/2 of her support.

Claimed her as a dependent and claimed the full AOTC for the parents.

If she is a half time student, the rule as I understand it is that the tuition follows the exemption, no matter who paid it.  I would tend to give it to the parents.  Many times, we figure it both ways and let them decide who to give the credit to, and who benefits the most.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mcb39 said:

If she is a half time student, the rule as I understand it is that the tuition follows the exemption, no matter who paid it.  I would tend to give it to the parents.  Many times, we figure it both ways and let them decide who to give the credit to, and who benefits the most.

Half time student determines if AOC is available.  To be a qualifying child she would need to be full time for 5 months. Parents can not claim her.

• Like 2