ATX Community

Backup for new computer`

MAMalody

I just purchased a new laptop for the next tax season and am in the process of transferring the progams and data from old to new. I can get the programs okay, however, I seem to be doing somehting wrong on transferring the returns. I must be having a bad day because I can't even seem to find the KB article. Can somebody give me step-by-step to back up and restore new computer of the KB article numbers. If you would prefer to use e-mail, send it to [email protected]

Thanks

Mike

Mike -- it's been a year since I used ATX, but I did get a new computer that year. I think there were two methods, and you had to be careful to match them: backup with restore; something with something else; maybe it was export with import. I do remember that it went easily for me, first installing the programs for a year or two and then -- I think -- using export to a flash and then import to my new computer for the returns. Since not a user anymore, no access to KB. Good luck.

Mike - From experience working with the ATX Total Satisfaction Team, I can offer some advice. Lion was on the right track, but I would like to add my thoughts.

You would use the export feature from your old program/computer. The easiest way would be to export onto a flash drive. If you do not have one, you can pick a 4GB flash from Staples for about $12-$15. So, you would export to that then take it over to your new program/computer. By using the import feature, you would bring the files over and it should work smoothly.

Now, if you wanted to export them to a CD, you would need to do a couple extra steps. First off, create a folder on the desktop of your old computer. Name it whatever you want. Using the export feature, export them to that folder. Burn that whole folder to the CD. Next, go over to your new computer and move the folder onto the desktop. Open your ATX program and use the import feature to import the files from that folder.

Both ways will work just fine, but using a CD just takes a little more time. If you should come into any trouble, let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you. Thanks Mike.