ATX Community

Problems with NetSetup

HV Ken

Followed all the instructions, custom install on the server, etc., but when I run NetSetup on the networked computer it just hangs at "Installing setup files". Called tech support - they told me to go into Windows Task Manager and kill App.exe, which does "complete" the installation, but then results in:

Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':

ERROR: Cannot add printer driver (AddPrinterDriver function failed) [sYSTEM: 997 - Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.] - TERMINATED

Server is XP Pro. Networked computer is XP Home.

Same systems as last year that worked just fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Do you have the latest Microsoft .Net Framework running on both computers?

I had to upgrade my networked PC to .Net Framework 3.5 before it would install correctly. Both the "server" and the "workstation" run XP Home SP3.

How do I check for that?

But in general, I keep my computers updated with the latest updates from windows.

How do I check for that?

But in general, I keep my computers updated with the latest updates from windows.

Use the links provided above. The reason I know that it was looking for .Net framework because I noticed it was looking for certain .Net files in the install... and then it would produce an error dialog box.

So now I have .Net 3.5 running on both the server and the workstation and everything is fine. I'm not sure it will help you, since your error seems related to a print operation or driver. But it's worth a try.

Does anyoneknow if you can install on a puter and later on decide to make it a network?

michaelmars - From working at ATX in the past, I'm almost positive that can be done. The only problem, that it's been so long I don't remember how to do it. That is something our technicians could help you with, or, you could get in touch with ATX Support. But yes, it can be done.

Does anyoneknow if you can install on a puter and later on decide to C?

By "make it a network" I am assuming you mean make it a workstation instead of the main computer. If that is so, I think you would have to uninstall the program and then run netsetup from whatever computer is now the main computer.

actually i meant that the original puter would become the server and later on i might want to add workstations. i would like to know if i can do this without uninstalling since then i lose all my customizations.

As I said previously:

I would just follow the network instructions for the "server" computer. You can then add the networked computers "workstation(s)" at a later time.

Nothing will be different on your server until you run NetSetup on a workstation you wish to add to your ATX network. Once you do run NetSetup, you will then need to logon each time you invoke ATX on either the server or workstation.

Yes, it is very simple to add other workstations. You just get on the server, and go to the folder where you have the program installed. There, find the icon for netsetup, click on it, and let it do it's thing. Finally make sure you 'share' that folder.

Now, go to the computer you want to add as a workstation. Use Windows Explorer to find the server computer, and go to the ATX folder and click on netsetup. It will then set your workstation us to use the program on the server.