ATX Community

Client panicking! Needs form 8109-B

David

You could contact other accountants in your area to ask if they have any spares.

If your client doesn't obtain an 8109-B today and it's a payroll tax deposit, he should definitely try to get it paid within 5 days in order to limit the penalty to 2%.

This might also be a good time for you to order some 8109-B's for future client service purposes. You can order 25 at a time on you letterhead. I always like to keep a few on hand for my clients and for other tax pros in my area. Once time I gained a new client because I could accommodate someone, and it cost me nothing but a stamp. (Of course, that meant that his former accountant lost a client)

It is in the ATX software, but it's a non-reproducible form, for your records but not to be filed. Although, having said that, if you are truly desperate, you could print it, cut off the top coupon part, and TRY using it. If the bank accepts it, good, if not, you are no worse off. But first try getting one from another accountant, after making sure you don't have one stuck in the back of a drawer in your office.

It is in the ATX software, but it's a non-reproducible form, for your records but not to be filed. Although, having said that, if you are truly desperate, you could print it, cut off the top coupon part, and TRY using it. If the bank accepts it, good, if not, you are no worse off. But first try getting one from another accountant, after making sure you don't have one stuck in the back of a drawer in your office.

I did this for a client late last year (printed out the "not for filing" ATX copy). The bank took it. And I ordered some blanks to keep on hand.

The suggestion of signing up for EFTPS would be a good one IF it didn't take a couple of weeks for the registration plus snail mail confirmation and PIN to come through. The clients I've had who've gotten stuck have usually been caught by a tax payment due _after_ their old PR vendor stopped working for them but _before_ the new one took up the reins. And there is _never_ time to wait for EFTPS signup or for coupons to come in the mail, either.

Another recent problem I've seen is banks _refusing_ to take tax deposits unless you are also a bank client (BofA is one). I've made a list of a couple of banks around here (eastern MA) that will still take deposits from non-banking clients, just in case.

Catherine

It is too late now, but you can always mail in your substitute deposit coupon 8109 to:

"If you prefer, you may mail your coupon and payment

to: Make your check or money order payable to

“Financial Agent.”

Financial Agent

Federal Tax Deposit Processing

P.O. Box 970030

St. Louis, MO 63197"

From IRS instructions,

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p15/ar02.html#d0e2271

Over the years, I have had many clients do this when they can not find their coupons..

>>their former accountant followed that same philosophy<<

That was probably not the reason they changed accountants. However, I have had a few over the years that I had to "fire" as they were always with some emergency because they knew I would drop everything and cater to their need. Life is a whole lot better without those clients and you will be more productive and make more money without them.

I don't consider a client who happened to run out of 8109 forms to be a PIA - I consider that to be an opprtunity to help a client who has a need. It's called "client service", and at a cost of 42 cents for 25 of these opportunities, I think that's probably the most cost-efficient investment in goodwill I can make. So cheap in fact that I'll do it for anybody's client, not just my own.

Now if the client is callng me every month or two with the same problem, then he's crossed over to being a PIA and I'll deal with that in a more appropriate manner.