ATX Community

encryption on emails??

momof3

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a product to encrypt emails? I like to do alot of my work via email, and sometimes need to attach personal information to these emails. I want to make sure that only the intended recipient gets the emails. I am a sole practitioner with a small practice <50 returns. Thank you in advance.

Does PDF factory actually encrypt anything or does it just generate a PDF? If it does encrypt, how does the recipient unencrypt the email?

The free version of pdf factory doesn't offer it, but the purchased version allows you to use the security feature. Clicking on it will allow you to enter a security code necessary to open the file. I usually use the last 4 digits of the client's SocSec#. This enables me to tell them in the email how to open the attachment without compromising anything.

Sage Secure Send is a product where can send up to 1000 megs a month of data for FREE. To be totally secure, you can provide the recipient a password. You log in, write your message, and attach your files. Ir is a great way to send any type of return that contains a SS#. The recipient receive an e-mail with link to a secure website where they input their password.

The free version of pdf factory doesn't offer it, but the purchased version allows you to use the security feature. Clicking on it will allow you to enter a security code necessary to open the file. I usually use the last 4 digits of the client's SocSec#. This enables me to tell them in the email how to open the attachment without compromising anything.

Thank you. I just tried the "demo" and it worked perfectly. I am going to purchase the product. I really appreciate the help!

Kelly

Has anyone made use of FileShare on the on-line organizers available on your web site by Execusite? Is it easy? Secure?

I use it all the time. My accounting clients send a backup or portable copy of their QuickBooks file, and my techno-clients send tax docs and returns both ways. Works great. You can let people sign themselves up or I have also signed people up and assigned them a password.

Some clients use the portable file in QB rather than backup because file space is limited to 50MB; two folks have huge QB files that exceed that size in backup but not portable file. I've posted a half-dozen returns at a time with tons of room to spare.

The one and only thing I do _not_ like is that you must use IE (or the IE tab in Firefox) to use the site. So that means all the inherent weaknesses and security flaws of the Microsoft product -- but only while you're actively there, so it's not as big a risk as it could be.

Catherine

Thank you very much, Catherine, for the information. I want to try it out this year.

You're welcome. I've gotten lots of good comments on my web site, too. They do a pretty good job. And _you_ own the domain name -- so if you ever want to move, you can (but then you have to re-create the site).

Catherine