ATX Community

Networked workstation

HV Ken

Wondering if there is a list of do's and don'ts for things to do (or not do) on the networked computer?

For example, my practice has been to do all rollovers, updates, e-files, etc. solely on the "server".

Today, the only thing I do from the "network" computer is data entry and printing.

Is this the recommended practice? Or am I being too cautious?

Thanks,

HV Ken

Wondering if there is a list of do's and don'ts for things to do (or not do) on the networked computer?

For example, my practice has been to do all rollovers, updates, e-files, etc. solely on the "server".

Today, the only thing I do from the "network" computer is data entry and printing.

Is this the recommended practice? Or am I being too cautious?

Thanks,

HV Ken

I have everything on the server. The only thing I do from the server is to update the program. (occasionally I might do Netsetup for workstations).

All rollovers, dataentry, printing and efiling is done from my workstation for the last 2years and haven't seen any problems.

I have also checked the efile'd returns under E-file manager tab on the server and shows the same as on my workstation.

PS: (Efile is done only form one workstation and not ALL workstations)

DevM

Maybe I am just lucky, but until all the discussion this year, I did not know this could be an issue. Our server is a dedicated server that no one works on except the programmer occasionally, or me when it is time to install a new software package. So I have been in the habit of doing everything from the workstation on my desk, including updates. E-files are usually done from my assistant's workstation but sometimes from mine. So far, knock wood, I have not had a problem with this.

Well, the way the program works now, and for the last couple of years, when you work at a workstation, you are actually working on the server, all that is on the workstation is the linkage to the server. So it should not matter what station you are on, because you are still all using the same database.