ATX Community

Questions for New Jersey e-filers

jklcpa

I'd like to e-file in NJ. I see that NJ no longer required separate registration and just verifies the ERO # with IRS. That's great.

When I checked the NJ website for approved software vendors, I saw that ATX is only listed for business returns. There's a separate listing for Universal Tax System.

So 2 questions:

Can I file an individual NJ-1040-NR using ATX software? and

Since NJ8879 is no longer required, are you NJ preparers out there still using it as documentation that the client gave you permission, or are you just not preparing it at all?

Thanks,

Judy

I'd like to e-file in NJ. I see that NJ no longer required separate registration and just verifies the ERO # with IRS. That's great.

When I checked the NJ website for approved software vendors, I saw that ATX is only listed for business returns. There's a separate listing for Universal Tax System.

So 2 questions:

Can I file an individual NJ-1040-NR using ATX software? and

Since NJ8879 is no longer required, are you NJ preparers out there still using it as documentation that the client gave you permission, or are you just not preparing it at all?

Thanks,

Judy

Hi Judy,

I prepare a fair number of NJ returns. I no longer prepare the NJ8879. I'm not suggesting that is the smart thing, but since NJ no longer requires it, I just prepare the Federal 8879.

As for efiling with ATX, I would try it and see if it's accepted. I'm not sure why they would accept an ATX business return but not a personal. Whatever the reason, I would try and see if it goes through. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

B Jani, thank you for telling me that the ATX returns are going through. This is a new client, referred by and existing one. They've come quite a distance to see me, so I don't want to just try it & see if it works.

I am in NJ and have been e-filing with ATX for the last few year without any problems. No need for NJ8879.

Devm