ATX Community

New Mattress a medical expense??

ljwalters

Yes the Doctor did write a prescription. But not everything a doctor prescribes is necessarily deductible.

Example: doctor wrote a prescription for my husband to soak x number of hours in a whirlpool or Jacuzzi per day the only way that was going to happen was thru a spa or gym.

Spa and gym memberships are not deductible. The insurance did pay for them for a short period of time, but he still needs the time. Still not deductible and not getting the aqua theripy he needs. Boo Hoo !!! now on to the client.

So …what do you think about this 2500 dollar mattress.

Linda and buddy

When I worked for a small CPA firm years ago (1986) had a client that had back issues and the doctor wrote a prescription for a jacuzzi. Client went as far to actually add an addition to his house. Firm had requested a private letter ruling to see if could take jacuzzi and structure as a medical deduction and got IRS approval. Don't think this is much different.

And although I agree with the non-deductible nature of the spa and gym membership fees, it is not for us to say what constitutes medical treatment, it the doctors job.

If you are really concerned you can get a PLR. Or let client know that there is a risk of adjustment by IRS should they audit this. Also, make sure you add disclosures and your position to the back of the return to avoid some of the penalty issues should IRS audit and adjust this.

Then let you client make the decision. There is enough gray line interpretation here to support this in my opinion.

Not necessarily. Particularly in the case of a back injury, it may be necessary to buy a much more expensive mattress than one might normally buy for comfort. If you cannot stand or sit for more than a short time, the mattress is much more important than otherwise.

But to be a medical expense, I would think the doctor would have to have specified a particular type of mattress, for example?

Its time for a reality check! A mattress is for comfort and not a medical expense. :rolleyes:

Jack, you've never had a back or neck injury, I can see.

Actually Joan I have had back problems since I was in my middle age. I can see a possible deduction for the difference between a "special mattress" and a reasonablely priced mattress, but only in a very specific situation where the doctor has prescribed it as being medically necessary. I don't believe that a deduction for the entire mattress could be justified on audit. I would be prepared with documentation to justify as I would expect an audit.

Thanks for all your input. The cost of half the mattress, which is the most I would conceed to even with doctors prescription, didn't survive the medical hair cut so to speek. So moot point.

As I startred to think harder a hospital bed is deductible, so why not a special mattress.

Linda and buddy