ATX Community

sync up two isolated computers

HV Ken

OK - here is what happened to me yesterday. Now I am looking for some advise on how to reconcile....

Cable internet was down for me on yesterday. Needed to finish last remaining corporate extensions, and couldn't efile without internet.

Loaded ATX onto my laptop.

Generated e-files on desktop.

Exported returns from desktop; stored on flash drive.

Went to local wireless spot (hotel lobby).

Updated ATX on laptop to latest everything.

Imported returns from flash drive.

e-filed! phew!

Now, in order to get everything back in sync.

Do I:

1) export from laptop and import to desktop?

Questions: What happens to the existing version on the desktop? Does what is imported just overwrite the version on the desktop? Should I first preserve the existing return on the desktop (rename them) and then import?

-OR-

2) Just simply receive acknowledgments on the laptop?

Questions: Would I lose the e-file history (Acknowledgment History) within the return?

Thanks for any insights.

Try this first, see if the "Receive Acks" on your desktop generates a message for the ones you exported, if not I would just export them from your laptop to the desktop and try it again. The EFIN number is the same, so I would think the desktop should receive the the acknowledgement.

The import/export of files should not affect the version of ATX you are using, the problem is that if your desktop has the most recent form update, you would get a message on your laptop saying form XXXX is not available or vise versa. Also, if you just exported them to efile them on your laptop and made no changes except the efile, you should be ok, no forms or amounts should change.

You could also, on your desktop, click 'Support', 'Customer Service Utilities', 'Synchronize Efile info with ATX'. That is what I would do first, actually. Then I'd do ''Receive Acks'.

What I found is that process wipes out all my complete flags (check box). Unless they fixed it? I have refrained from "Synchronize" since having that experience a few years ago.

I have moved files from one coputer to another and all the E-File info imports also.

Hope this helps

Linda and buddy

Does the import from the 2nd computer back into the 1st computer just replace the return on the 1st computer? I guess what I am asking is what happens when you import a return on top of the same return that already exists?

Does the import from the 2nd computer back into the 1st computer just replace the return on the 1st computer? I guess what I am asking is what happens when you import a return on top of the same return that already exists?

To answer my own question, decided to try one import on an extension (what is there really to lose anyway?). Import prompt to replace or copy, so I replaced and all the info from the laptop went into the server. I guess all is well in the world again!

Thanks!