ATX Community

529 Contribution

joans

I have a TP that made 2 - 529 Contributions for their daughters. No clue whatsoever what it is. Anyone with any ideas? Please help:) Thanks

Sara

Section 529 plans to save for college expenses, set up by the individual states. No deduction when the contribution is made. No tax due on growth when withdrawn for education purposes as delineated. Annual contribution limited to the amount of the annual gift exclusion with a provision to "front-load" up to five years' contribution provided no additional gifts from same donors made for five years. Contributions can be made by parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, godparents, family friends -- anyone willing to put money to the kids' college.

Some _states_ have tax benefits for contributions to their own state plans. Some of those plans have expenses that kill any tax benefit, some don't.

Catherine

Me again:) The link really helped & the information should go on a 709, but since it is less than the maximum amount, I don't need to file a 709. So I don't need to report this information on the tax return. Am I reading this correctly. Each daughter received $3000. Thanks again.

Sara

Me again:) The link really helped & the information should go on a 709, but since it is less than the maximum amount, I don't need to file a 709. So I don't need to report this information on the tax return. Am I reading this correctly. Each daughter received $3000. Thanks again.

Sara

Nothing reportable with facts as stated.