ATX Community

Home Buyers Credit - requirements and applicability

SunTaxMan

As I read some of the details about the new Home Buyers Credit, I find:

1. It applies to taxpayers who have not owned a "principal residence" in the last 3 years, prior to this RE purchase.

2. The taxpayer must own the property for at least three years.

What I don't see is a requirement that the RE purchased (and used as a basis of this "home buyers' credit") needs to be the "primary" residence of the taxpayer for the required three year minimum ownership.

This leads me to a question a client just asked me. He has not "owned" a principal residence for over three years (they are "renting" in an independent living facility.). Can he buy a home and claim the credit without USING that home as a residence? (primary or secondary -- can he use it as a rental property?)

The answer to this question would seem to be very obvious - No - that the purchased home on which the credit is claimed must be used for three years as a principal residence (by the taxpayer{s} claiming the credit), not just owned, but I don't see this in the information I have been reading.

Is this a "loophole" in the law? Or am I not reading enough informaiton to discover the "fine print?"

From 5405 instructions,

Who Can Claim the Credit

In general, you can claim the credit if you are a first-time

homebuyer. You are considered a first-time homebuyer if:

c You purchased your main home located in the United

States after April 8, 2008, and before December 1, 2009.

c You (and your spouse if married) did not own any other

main home during the 3-year period ending on the date of

purchase.

It must be a purchase of a "main home" which would prevent them from buying and immediately renting out a home to get the credit. What if they buy it, live in it 2 weeks, and then rent it?

Homes purchased in 2009. You must repay the credit

only if the home ceases to be your main home within the

36-month period beginning on the purchase date.

So what they could do is purchase the home, use it as their primary home for 36 months, and then convert to rental.

Also, something I haven't been able to find is how the credit works for a recently married couple when one has owned a home in the last 3 years and the other hasn't owned a home in the last 3 years.

All instructions say the same thing- you AND your spouse did not own any other main home during the 3 year period ending on the date of purchase.

Nothing seems to address my question. It appears that a spouse who hasn't owned a home in the last 3 years is penalized if their spouse has owned a home in the last 3 years. Is this the case?

Or do they get to claim 1/2 of the credit on their joint return?

Thanks.

From 5405 instructions,

Who Can Claim the Credit

In general, you can claim the credit if you are a first-time

homebuyer. You are considered a first-time homebuyer if:

c You purchased your main home located in the United

States after April 8, 2008, and before December 1, 2009.

c You (and your spouse if married) did not own any other

main home during the 3-year period ending on the date of

purchase.

It must be a purchase of a "main home" which would prevent them from buying and immediately renting out a home to get the credit. What if they buy it, live in it 2 weeks, and then rent it?

Homes purchased in 2009. You must repay the credit

only if the home ceases to be your main home within the

36-month period beginning on the purchase date.

So what they could do is purchase the home, use it as their primary home for 36 months, and then convert to rental.