ATX Community

Direct debit for tax due for now ex-wife

Margaret CPA in OH

I'm bumping this up just in case someone has some insight...or even knowledge or experience to address this. I need to put something in the field soon. Thanks!

I'm just guessing here -- but if you e-file, and the bank account information given is for a "live" account, I don't see how it would _not_ be debited.

Remember, my advice here is worth every penny you've paid for it!

Catherine

I'm bumping this up just in case someone has some insight...or even knowledge or experience to address this. I need to put something in the field soon. Thanks!

Margaret,

I would tell the client (especially at this late date) to mail the check directly herself/himself. It's fine to e-file...just print out the voucher and let her/him get a check from her/him and mail it herself/himself. Now...wasn't that as plain as mud! :) You have too many other issues than to worry about having the taxpayer's payment be credited properly...and you know who will get the blame and have to straighten the whole mess out if it happens....u

I agree. If it goes right, well good. But, if it goes wrong, it'll be very, very bad. E-file and give him/her a voucher to mail in with a check. You can fax or e-mail him the voucher. Include directions for paying by credit card if he wants to handle payment via telephone.