ATX Community

signature on faxed 2005 return

Kea

New client (will get extension for current year) mentioned that he hasn't filed in several years. He's pretty sure they are all refunds since they were just basic W-2 jobs. I tell him statute of limitations runs out Wednesday for the 2005 return. He faxes me 2 W-2s and I calculate return.

Can I fax him the signed 2005 1040 for him to mail in (or drop off at IRS office)? I know I can accept a faxed signature on an 8879, but will IRS accept faxed preparer signature?

Thanks. I'd like to get this to him tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to schedule a pick-up time.

CORRECT

AND EVEN IF THEY DON'T THEY WILL SEND A FORM ASKING FOR A NEW SIGNATURE BUT STILL CONSIDER IT A TIMELY FILED RETURN

I don't think so. they will mail back entire return and tell you to sign it an file again. I know from experience with 2 different clients. One lost the rebate until this year because he filed on Oct 14th and didn't sign and then they sent back sometime in December and he sign return and sent back before end of year but still no rebate.

bcolleen, was yours was sent back because the client's sig was missing? Kea is asking about the preparer's signature.

It seems to me that if the IRS will accept a rubber stamp or computer-generated printing of the preparer's signature, then Kea should be OK. Kea was asking about signing a return as a preparer & faxing that return to his/her client for filing. As long as the client's signature is original, Kea's idea should work. The worst case I can see is the IRS saying that Kea didn't sign and assess the $50 preparer penalty for failure to sign the return.

I had one last year that I didn't even sign (accidentally . . . emailed draft to client and he printed it and mailed it in). Posted here and Jainen said nothing would come of it; name and address were printed on the bottom and that was fine. So far, so good.

I don't think so. they will mail back entire return and tell you to sign it an file again. I know from experience with 2 different clients. One lost the rebate until this year because he filed on Oct 14th and didn't sign and then they sent back sometime in December and he sign return and sent back before end of year but still no rebate.

oops yes I was. taxpayer signature

I'll need to learn more about this option. I think there is something similar in TaxWise. But I'll be back to ATX next year!!!

The electronic signature will be quite helpful soon. I'm planning to turn my practice into all (or mostly) electronic so I can travel. My husband retires in June and we plan to go everywhere in our RV. My clients have already informed me that I'm not allowed to retire. No fair! At least this business is seasonal and portable.