ATX Community

Form to say amended return forthcoming?

Margaret CPA in OH

that one could file by today such a form stating that an amended form is anticipated and it would "hold" its eligibility while an actual form is prepared and subsequently filed. What is this amazing form? I don't know everything or even close to it but I get antsy when my clients know ever so much more than I do!

The only form I can think of is '843 - Claim for Refund"

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA

that one could file by today such a form stating that an amended form is anticipated and it would "hold" its eligibility while an actual form is prepared and subsequently filed. What is this amazing form? I don't know everything or even close to it but I get antsy when my clients know ever so much more than I do!

She quite possibly heard exactly what she told you. I shudder at times to the "advice" given by "tax professionals" on tv.

Cathy

Boy isn't that the truth. Today, the radio is full of last minute advice not only from tax pros but from the radio DJ's as well. I like the turbo tax and IRS free prep & e-file. You have exactly 12 hours to file your return "FREE" and cause yourself 2 to 3 years of hell if you make a mistake. But then, there is JK Harris to get em out of the hole. Either way, YOU'RE broke if you mess up. Seen this happen too many times this year. Client came back after screwing up thier return three years ago. They said, "we thought we could handle this" with a pile of letters, "but we would like you to handle this from now on if you don't mind". I again apply the song from Joel Glib's post. 'I'm Billing Time"

Terry D.

In July 2007 a South Carolina judge approved a $6 million settlement of a class-action lawsuit that had been brought against JK Harris by the Attorneys General of 18 states, including the AG of South Carolina, home to JK Harris' headquarters. The suit claimed that JK Harris & Company was charging customers fees for resolving back tax debts, but then failed to deliver on their promises, and engaged in deceptive marketing and advertising practices. The company denied the allegations but agreed to settle the lawsuit in April 2007. Judge Perry M. Buckner III approved the settlement in early July 2007. JK Harris also agreed to fulfill other terms of the settlement including changing business practices related to their advertising and billing, as well as the claim to have hundred of "offices" nationwide, which was shown to be untrue.

You might want to save this to hand to anyone who quotes those ads.

>>Posted Apr 15 2009.... one could file by today such a form stating that an amended form is anticipated and it would "hold" its eligibility while an actual form is prepared and subsequently filed<<

I believe this is true, but once again we can never be sure what the original question was so we don't know the exact context of the answer. It sounds like the normal extension. When a taxpayer expects an amended K-1 or 1099, it is not necessary to complete the 1040 by April 15th.