ATX Community

Windows Vista/ATX Software problems

Greg Markus CPA

Long story short, my computer died middle of last week, so I had to purchase a new machine. Of course it has Vista that is not yet supported by ATX, so I am running into a few problems.

My main problem at this point is that two new returns that I created are not showing up in my Return Manager tab. I have them backed up and have tried to since restore them, but they are still not showing up when I reopen the program. Any suggestions on how to make them show up?

Thanks for any help.

Long story short, my computer died middle of last week, so I had to purchase a new machine. Of course it has Vista that is not yet supported by ATX, so I am running into a few problems.

My main problem at this point is that two new returns that I created are not showing up in my Return Manager tab. I have them backed up and have tried to since restore them, but they are still not showing up when I reopen the program. Any suggestions on how to make them show up?

Thanks for any help.

Are you using the "import return" feature?

Eli

If the problem really is Windows Vista, you might want to try using your ATX software in compatibility mode.

To use compatibility mode in Windows Vista:

1. Open Windows Explorer.

2. Locate the application executable.

3. Right click the executable and click the Properties option.

4. Select the Compatibility tab.

5. Select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode option.

6. From the drop-down list, choose the operating system you ran before upgrading to Vista.

7. If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administrator.

8. Click OK.

Thank you erc for the tip... I am hesitating buying a new computer until I get some feedback on this compatibility feature. i.e. does it really help?

Greg Markus please update this board with your results from trying this Vista feature !

Using the compatability feature seemed to do the trick! I am having ATX run in Win XP SP2 compatability mode and so far I haven't had an issue. The one thing about restoring the returns, however, is that you cannot mark the "Run this program as an Administrator" box since this will cause the restored returns not to show up in your return manager when you restart the program after restoring it. As soon as I unchecked that box, the returns appeared.

Thank you erc for the tip... I am hesitating buying a new computer until I get some feedback on this compatibility feature. i.e. does it really help?

Greg Markus please update this board with your results from trying this Vista feature !

Dell is again building machines with Win XP on many desktops & laptops. I ordered a new laptop as a backup system. If anyone's interested, go to Dell's website, point to icon of type of machine you want & select 'small business' from the drop-down. From there seemed many choices to build with XP again.

Luckily I was mostly done. I have 3 returns on extension, 2 of those ready to finalize.

I did some brain surgery on my computer Tuesday evening. I was uninstalling a program when it locked up, and some main operating/boot files were deleted/damaged. Wouldn't boot up, and Dell's last-resort restore to original configuration is not accessible. So they are sending me new operating disks. A friend got me partially running again so I can access ATX, MS office, the internet, but definitely have some major problems. ATX and some apps now think the machine is on a network (it's a stand-alone); other apps just won't reinstall.

Anyway, I am happy to find this forum. After being lost in the wilderness thanks to ATX's blunder and having my right arm amputated (computer), finding all my friends here was the best gift after a very long & frustrating week.

I wish everyone a happy ending to tax season on Tuesday.

Just received my Vista update disks this week. I purchased new Gateway laptop in January.; came with free update to Vista. Guess where those disks are going to stay until further notice and maybe forever. In the bag!!!! Am very happy with the new computer and the Windows XP Media Center Edition. No reason to change a thing! In any event, it is so GOOD to see all the old names turning up here. We can never say Thanks too many times.