ATX Community

Dual Monitors-Update

Taxizen

My computer(HP Vista)'s video card is built onto the motherboard.

I figured out I could upgrade it with a new PCI Express 16X.

What I wasn't sure about was whether I had to adjust CMOS, BIOS, and so on after I pluged it onto the slot.

I like to make sure what I am doing is right. The research makes me believe I can just plug and play it in case of the computer with vista.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

My computer(HP Vista)'s video card is built onto the motherboard.

I figured out I could upgrade it with a new PCI Express 16X.

What I wasn't sure about was whether I had to adjust CMOS, BIOS, and so on after I pluged it onto the slot.

I like to make sure what I am doing is right. The research makes me believe I can just plug and play it in case of the computer with vista.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

The BIOS: it depends. Sometimes you can just plug in a new video card, and the computer will recognize that and disable the on-board video automatically. Sometimes, however, you have to go into the BIOS and disable the on-board manually. My suggestion is to ignore the BIOS and see if you get a picture on the monitor plugged into the new card when you boot up. If not, plug the monitor back into the on-board, reboot, enter BIOS, disable on-board video, save settings and leave the BIOS, and then try the new card again.

Don't worry if you don't get a picture right away. You can always remove the video card and go back to on-board to keep tinkering.

As far as drivers and Vista goes, you're probably right about Plug-and-Play, but it's a good idea to go online and download the newest video drivers from the card manufacturer (ATI or nVidia).

• 3 months later...

Ha! You guys are being left in the dust! I have a colleague who just installed triple monitors! You folks in California who may be connected to the entertainment industry need to pitch a new reality show: "Monitor Wars"!! Accountants vie to see how many monitors they can perch on their desks - I'd watch it....