ATX Community

Any dial-up users out there?

lsowers

I have a colleague that is considering switching to ATX. She is on dial-up with no plans for high-speed internet. Do the updates run smoothly, especially during tax season?

Thanks for any info.

Lori

I hope there are no dial up users out here. I know one poster didn't have a choice at one time. But DSL is slow enough at times. I'd hate to think about using dial up.

I have a colleague that is considering switching to ATX. She is on dial-up with no plans for high-speed INTERNET. Do the updates run smoothly, especially during tax season?

Thanks for any info.

Lori

Lori,

I am a dial-up user who has also been using ATX products since the 1998 tax-filing season. I never have any problem getting updates to the tax forms or program updates. Probably the longest I have had to wait for a program update has been maybe 15 minutes. I would like to have a more accelerated Internet experience, but so far I haven't done so.

Wayne Brasch

I have a colleague that is considering switching to ATX. She is on dial-up with no plans for high-speed internet. Do the updates run smoothly, especially during tax season?

Thanks for any info.

Lori

I am probably the "one" who didn't have any choice.; which I didn't until May, 2008; after Tax Season was pretty much over. Yes, I had issues, but never having had DSL I didn't know the difference. I have ten years of ATX programs on this computer. I was always able to get the downloads. If it didn't always work through the Program update, I could go to the ATX website and download from there much more easily; because I could pick and choose what I wanted or needed. It was inconvenient, but I never thought of it as such. Sometimes I would just go do something else; such as a load of laundry, while the updates were downloading.

The point is that it is entirely possible to use the ATX program with dial-up. I did have accelarated dial-up through Juno; which is pretty dependable. Your friend might like to take a look at www.juno.com for the options. So, yes, it is possible if you have patience and just "do what you have to do" This was my first tax year ever with DSL.

I have dial up because nothing else is available here. Updates are slow especially if you wait a couple of days. What I usually do is update once a day I start it when I finish for the day and go to bed. It is done in the morning. No problems and have used ATX since 2001.