ATX Community

temporary job?

Kea

New client is a self-employed "land man." She does title searches for oil related businesses. The standard practice is to bring in contract workers for no specified time. These assignments can last a few days, weeks, months or sometimes, years - it depends on the oil economy and how that business is doing. I gathered from her that the shorter jobs are more typical.

This last assignment lasted 10 months and was located in another town from her home and so she racked up quite a few miles on her car. The town was close enough that she did go home each night for a few months. Then she rented an RV space to save the travel time.

The job lasted less than a year, but I'm having trouble determining if it was "expected to last more than a year." There was no expectation and she knew the job could end at any time. My interpretation:

"Was the job expected to last more than a year?" I would answer that "no."

Am I interpreting this correctly? Or, does the lack of time frame make it non-temporary?

Thanks.

I would simply ask the client, "When the job started did you or the employer expect it to last more than a year?" If they give you a nebulous answer, I would indicate to them that you are looking for a yes or no answer, that you do understand the variables they are talking about. Then go with their answer. I would not explain the temporary definition until I received my answer. What I think as a practitioner, for this question, does not make a difference. It is what the employee or employer thought that counts.