ATX Community

As 9/11 Approaches

kcjenkins

I will never forget 9/11 or where I was and what I was doing. That was the day that I quit smoking because I still had choices and those people did not. Since that day, I have NOT smoked 52083 cigarettes and have saved $7,813 at the prices at that time.

I am sure that those of us who were adults on that tragic day will NEVER forget.

I was at a client's office; one of the workers came in from an errand and told us to put the radio on. The client had worked in the twin towers up until just a few years earlier. I remember agonizing over whether to go grab my girls out of school -- the principal's office said they were not allowing ANY TV or radio in the building that day. So I had some time to figure out what I was going to tell them.

"To the shores of Tripoli" -- there was a hiatus for quite a while, but starting up again with the first attack on the towers in 1993, there have been attacks on U.S. interests every few years, culminating in 9/11. Don't for a minute think they wouldn't do it again tomorrow if they could manage it.

One thing I got out of watching that was a reminder of how majestic those towers were, before they went down. It's ironic I guess, that that day was such a perfect day, weather wise, that they looked their awesome best right before the attack.

I was watching TV at the time, so I saw the second plane actually hit. What terrible things people can do in the name of religion, usually with the true motive being political power.

and my divorce was on 09/12

Hmm that's today.

Had mixed feelings on 09/12/01. First I had to celebrate getting the divorce, but in light of what had happened the day before it didn't seem right.

Also, remember going to Court that day with the heightened Security Levels. Usually there was a seperate line for attorneys that let us get past the security lines. Of course that changed on 09/12/01. Almost all the attorneys, myself included, stood in the regular line and understood the reasons. BUT of course there was one of my brethren that was not happy and very antagonistic when he was not let through the special short line (now non-existent). Almost got arrested and when he was sent to the back of the long line, you could hear the applause from all the other attorneys for blocks (again, myself included)!

So now, Yesterday I mourned and today I celebrate!