ATX Community

NT The Scottish Military Field Hospital

kcjenkins

The new commander in Iraq hears that a Scottish regiment has a specialized field hospital that's doing fantastic things with the troops. He wants to know what is so special about the place, so he arranges a tour.

When he gets to the ward, it's full of patients with no obvious sign of injury or illness. He's perplexed, so goes up to the first bed and greets the soldier there.

The patient replies:

"Fair fa your honest sonsie face,

Great chieftain o the puddin race,

Aboon them a ye take yer place,

Painch, tripe or thairm,

As langs my airm."

The general is confused, so he just grins and moves on to the next patient.

That soldier responds:

"Some hae meat an canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it,

But we hae meat an we can eat,

So let the Lord be thankit."

Even more confused, and his grin now rictus-like, the commander moves on to the next patient, who immediately begins to chant:

"Wee sleekit, cowerin, timorous beasty,

O the panic in thy breasty,

Thou needna start awa sae hastie,

Wi bickering brattle."

Now seriously troubled, the general turns to the accompanying doctor and asks, "Is this a psychiatric ward?"

"No, not at all," replies the doctor. "This is the Serious Burns unit."

"ILL" like my teenage daughter sez, dood. I mean, I LUV it; and transponded it to every Hibernophile I know -- e.g., my bagpipe-adept cousin, my spouse's colleague's hubbie whose Scotch Whisky tasting-party marched our palates up from salt marshes to the Highlands, etc. Not only good taste, but, heck, where'd our profession get its greatest refinement since Luca Pacioli's formalization?

Having too much fun before the first, full week of year-end tax-planning, TaxCPANY

Not if you are a Bobby Burns fanatic like I am!

"ILL" like my teenage daughter sez, dood. I mean, I LUV it; and transponded it to every Hibernophile I know -- e.g., my bagpipe-adept cousin, my spouse's colleague's hubbie whose Scotch Whisky tasting-party marched our palates up from salt marshes to the Highlands, etc. Not only good taste, but, heck, where'd our profession get its greatest refinement since Luca Pacioli's formalization?

Having too much fun before the first, full week of year-end tax-planning, TaxCPANY

Usually I "get" most everything that passes for humor around here but this one goes right over my head. Do I need to speak or understand the "brough" to get it? I am suddenly feeling very dumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this is not appropriate to post -- feel free to delete if you want. I promise I'm not trying to turn this forum into Craig's List. I just saw there were some Burns fans here.

When cleaning out my Dad's house we ran across Selections from Burns from the Athenaeum Press Series from 1898. If you want to read all about Burns, this book is in the Google library:

http://books.google.com/books?id=zk9LAAAAMAAJ&pg=PR5&lpg=PR5&dq=the+athenaeum+press+series+selections+from+burns&source=bl&ots=fSG9qPUv4w&sig=uWRFgJEaQVCdDW08kVke1t7cJw8&hl=en&ei=XmQ6S86zGYS0tgeetqmUCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Also, I am trying to figure out what to do with this book (and several other old books). They aren't worth a lot of money, but I don't want to just toss them or give them to Goodwill.

Thanks.

Perhaps this is not appropriate to post -- feel free to delete if you want. I promise I'm not trying to turn this forum into Craig's List. I just saw there were some Burns fans here.

When cleaning out my Dad's house we ran across Selections from Burns from the Athenaeum Press Series from 1898. If you want to read all about Burns, this book is in the Google library:

http://books.google.com/books?id=zk9LAAAAMAAJ&pg=PR5&lpg=PR5&dq=the+athenaeum+press+series+selections+from+burns&source=bl&ots=fSG9qPUv4w&sig=uWRFgJEaQVCdDW08kVke1t7cJw8&hl=en&ei=XmQ6S86zGYS0tgeetqmUCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Also, I am trying to figure out what to do with this book (and several other old books). They aren't worth a lot of money, but I don't want to just toss them or give them to Goodwill.

Thanks.

Our library has a 'friends of the library' program which accepts donations of used books, cd's, etc. which they then sell (paperbacks sell for 50 cents) ; there's a cart with books for sale in every library. Once a year our library friends program has a BIG sale.

My 2 cents worth.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

http://books.google....page&q=&f=false

Thanks.

Kea --

I'll take the Burns book. PM me (or I'll PM you) and we'll discuss.

Catherine

I agree that if you don't want to bother with selling them, giving them to the local library is the thing to do. If they are valuable to them they will keep them, and they will sell the rest to raise money to help the library.

If you do want to at least consider selling them, eBay is the way to go. You can list them by both Author and Subject in the description, and if someone wants them, you get some cash easy, and it's easy to mail them in the free Priority Mail flat rate boxes. If they don't sell, then donate the rest to the library. Real collectors often have saved 'searches' for favorite Authors and/or Subjects, so you should at least consider doing that with any nice books. You'd be surprised what you can find on eBay using a simple search!