ATX Community

Financial Assistance Forms For College

Booger

Afternoon, everybody. I've had quite a few clients requesting assistance in filling out

various financial assistance forms for their college-aged children. Has anyone out there

done this as a matter of course, and do you do it pro bono or charge for your time?

Thanks for your replies.

Booger

Afternoon, everybody. I've had quite a few clients requesting assistance in filling out

various financial assistance forms for their college-aged children. Has anyone out there

done this as a matter of course, and do you do it pro bono or charge for your time?

Thanks for your replies.

Booger

I only do it for tax clients and add a small charge to their tax bill when we get there. Of course I tell them ahead of time when they first bring me the papers!

I suppose if someone wanted just the aid forms I'd charge about $100 or more (depending on how complex). They're really nasty. I don't charge tax clients that much ($50 or so) because it's mainly a rehash of the stuff I need for their taxes anyway.

If I'm not mistaken the FAFSA form has to be filled out online. I think that is the requirement that started last year.

Yes, BUT. The "but" is that you pretty much have to fill out the paper form to have with you when you go online. It's just not possible to have everything they want, in the forms they want it, without having the all-filled-out paper form right there beside your keyboard.

Ask me how I know this..... wink.gif

Yes, BUT. The "but" is that you pretty much have to fill out the paper form to have with you when you go online. It's just not possible to have everything they want, in the forms they want it, without having the all-filled-out paper form right there beside your keyboard.

Ask me how I know this..... wink.gif

The form does allow you to fill out the questions that you can easily get from the tax return, save the "draft" version, and then go back and fill in the information that was not readily available from the return (or at least it did the last time I completed one.) I don't usually do a pencil copy, but instead fill out what information I have, print a copy and let the client fill in the rest. I will help them with it if they don't understand what is being asked, but I don't generally have information on their bank balances, etc. in doing their personal return.