ATX Community

Sch M and SSA-1099

GeneInAlabama

I am confused. I was expecting the $250 social security payment to be shown on the SSA-1999 but apparently it's not. How can we find out if they received it and if they did, are we to show it on the sch M? I think maybe it is not included in the figure in box 5 and does not need to be reported anywhere. I know we can ASSUME that the $250 was received if they were receiving SS in Nov or Dec of 08, but is there a website that we can check to confirm this. I can't expect my clients to remember if they received it because I don't even remember myself if I received it although I am sure I did. Thanks for your help.

>>is there a website that we can check<<

The client can check with Social Security Administration or his bank accounts for May and June. I never heard of any problems, so if you or the client know he received Social Security in November, December, or January and there is no evidence to the contrary, in my opinion it is appropriate to treat it in the way best supported by those facts.

I am confused. I was expecting the $250 social security payment to be shown on the SSA-1999 but apparently it's not. How can we find out if they received it and if they did, are we to show it on the sch M? I think maybe it is not included in the figure in box 5 and does not need to be reported anywhere. I know we can ASSUME that the $250 was received if they were receiving SS in Nov or Dec of 08, but is there a website that we can check to confirm this. I can't expect my clients to remember if they received it because I don't even remember myself if I received it although I am sure I did. Thanks for your help.

If you efile your clients' return with $800 on line 63 Making Work Pay, and if He already received it during 2009, your efile will be rejected, you will need to enter $250 on Sch M. Recreate your efile and send it again! Of course your clients' refund will be less. :blush:

But if your client didn't receive it, the IRS will process your efile. :rolleyes:

I can't find it know (don't you know), however, I read that it is NOT included on the 1099-SSA.

The $250 is not included in box 5. If it were, it would be potentially taxable, which it is not. [besides, it wasn't on my 1099-SSA]

There shouldn't be this much of a problem for preparers. If the taxpayer was eligible for SS during November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009, check the yes box and show the $250. If you don't (and Schedule M is required because he also has earned income) the return will bounce. If he was eligible for the $250 but didn't actually receive it, you can't get it for him via the tax return anyway - he has to deal with the SSA.

The government pension part of Schedule M is a different fettle of kish. :wacko:

The $250 is not included in box 5. If it were, it would be potentially taxable, which it is not. [besides, it wasn't on my 1099-SSA]

There shouldn't be this much of a problem for preparers. If the taxpayer was eligible for SS during November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009, check the yes box and show the $250. If you don't (and Schedule M is required because he also has earned income) the return will bounce. If he was eligible for the $250 but didn't actually receive it, you can't get it for him via the tax return anyway - he has to deal with the SSA.

The government pension part of Schedule M is a different fettle of kish. :wacko:

The other PIA part of this credit is how it applies to people that receive VA disability payments. I had one reject because "the amount on the form did not match IRS records" and I had no idea the taxpayer was receiving VA disability. He is 28. Needless to say, it will be something that we must ask every client.

Our congress at work!