ATX Community

Schedule M HELP:)

JonesTaxPro

Ok - first Schedule M with Social Security. Client says that he didn't receive the $250. Well, he doesn't remember receiving it. My question is on Sched M, Line 10, I would put 0 for the amount and click No on line 11. He did receive some pensions, but not government. This is sooo confusing. Am I reading this right? Please help.

Sara

Ok - first Schedule M with Social Security. Client says that he didn't receive the $250. Well, he doesn't remember receiving it. My question is on Sched M, Line 10, I would put 0 for the amount and click No on line 11. He did receive some pensions, but not government. This is sooo confusing. Am I reading this right? Please help.

Sara

Sara, chances are if he received SS, he also recieved the $250. I haven't met a client yet this year who remembers getting it. If you don't put $250 on line 10 and check yes, the IRS will reject the return if he did receive the payment last Spring. He is the only one who can find out for sure from SS whether he got it or not. I have sent clients home to check their bank statements and, guess what, they usually got it and never even noticed.

If the recipient of SS, SSI, SS Disability, VA disability or Railroad pension was receiving benefits as of Jan 2009, the received the check. They also received a letter telling them about it.

Only someone that started receiving benefits during or after Feb 2009 did NOT receive the check. IRS system WILL verify and reject mis-matches, but did not seem to think it important to establish a webpage to give us access to the information like they did for the stimulus payments in 2008.

Our government at work.

If the recipient of SS, SSI, SS Disability, VA disability or Railroad pension was receiving benefits as of Jan 2009, the received the check. They also received a letter telling them about it.

Only someone that started receiving benefits during or after Feb 2009 did NOT receive the check. IRS system WILL verify and reject mis-matches, but did not seem to think it important to establish a webpage to give us access to the information like they did for the stimulus payments in 2008.

Our government at work.

Yeah, they really need to have a more robust efile system. There's really no reason to reject it in the first place. If they got the $250 just reduce the refund by $250. That's the final outcome anyway.

Yeah, they really need to have a more robust efile system. There's really no reason to reject it in the first place. If they got the $250 just reduce the refund by $250. That's the final outcome anyway.

BUT they need to have earned income to even need the sch M. If no earned income, don't even bother with Sch M.