ATX Community

New Vehicle Sales Tax on 1040

LisaAnn

Hi,

I just ran across an issue I had with a tax return and wanted to make you aware of a glitch in the software.

I thought I was finished with a return: basic W-2, Sch. D, interest, and filing for the new vehicle sales tax deduction on Sch. L. No problem. Then the client called with some additional deductions that would be included on Sch. A. This created higher itemized deductions than the standard deduction, so of course we wanted to itemize at this point. After entering all of the additional deductions on Sch. A, I did an error check and no errors were found. I automatically assumed (which I shouln't do) that the software would move the new vehicle sales tax deduction over from the Sch L.(since we were not using it there now) to the the Sch. A. It did not. Just something to watch when preparing your returns.

Happy filing everyone!

Wouldn't that create two original tax returns for the taxpayer?

Not really, I work on the return without the 8K credit, create efile files for both federal and state. Any errors or missing forms will pop up at that point. After I create the efile files I keep working on the same client and I open form 5405 and finish the return. As soon as I print my efile files are marked as rejected. I prepare the package and mail it. I hate to amend returs and I only do it when necessary.

I also tell my clients... "if for any reason, your refund is too late and you don't need the money anymore, please donate it to a non-profit organization". So far, my only two clients with 8K credit have accepted.