ATX Community

NT Idiot Sightings 4/5

Margaret CPA in OH

7. The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red. Appalled, she responded, 'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'

She was a probation officer in Wichita KS

8. At a good-bye luncheon for an old and dear coworker who was leaving the company due to 'downsizing,' our manager commented cheerfully, 'This is fun. We should do this more often.' Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This was a lunch at Texas Instruments.

7. The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red. Appalled, she responded, 'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'

She was a probation officer in Wichita KS

8. At a good-bye luncheo for an old an dear coworker who was leaving the company due to 'downsizing,' our manager commented cheerfully, 'This is fun. We should do this more often.' Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This was a lunch at Texas Instruments.

Someone should have spoke up and said" yes next time lets do it in your honor!

>>the coworker wondering about BLIND drivers<<

Oh, now I get the joke! Blind drivers, ha-ha. And here I was thinking "Idiot Sightings" was a clever pun on the storyteller, who apparently has the common form of blindness called red/green.

My friends, let us be sensitive. Blindness is no joke. Disability access is no joke. Our country can be proud of many things, but surely the American Disabilities Act is one of the finest.

I agree, Jainen. I am copying from an email that I received and some of the things are just funny. Of course I am an idiot in many things at many times. We all are occasionally. Well, at least I am. Blindness isn't a joke, I am blind in one eye. But that doesn't prevent some things from being funny. Disability access is no joke either. That's why I scratched my head the first time I went to my local bank just after moving here and was puzzled as to why there was a clearly marked handicapped parking space right in front but no ramp, only a pretty high curb. I talked with the manager who had no clue. It took 2 more awareness raising discussions and about 3 months for a ramp to be put in place.

Thanks for once again setting me straight. I have failed miserably at the contributions to humor and will return to my cave.