ATX Community

employee stock option

bstaxes

It is a sale. I have a 'confirmation of exercise' from the company stating same-day sale for the value of box 12, also have 'statement of taxable income' for the same value labeled total w-2 income. That value is included in box 1,3,5 on his w-2 as per the v code. What I don't have is a 1099B or anything that would be sent to the irs as a sale. If the value is already included in the wages then it not reported any where, or should it be reported on sch d cost=selling price with no loss or gain.

It is a sale. I have a 'confirmation of exercise' from the company stating same-day sale for the value of box 12, also have 'statement of taxable income' for the same value labeled total w-2 income. That value is included in box 1,3,5 on his w-2 as per the v code. What I don't have is a 1099B or anything that would be sent to the irs as a sale. If the value is already included in the wages then it not reported any where, or should it be reported on sch d cost=selling price with no loss or gain.

I'm confused. First you say it's a sale and then you say there is no 1099-B.

Confirmation of exercise does not mean "sale". It simply means just that. If you don't have a 1099-B then the client still has the stock. You need to find that out from the client.

If and when he does sell the stock the client will get a 1099-B and his cost will be this code v amount.

taxbilly

When and if he has a sale, his cost basis is the V amount on which he's paying taxes as already in his ordinary income + any amount he paid out of pocket or had deducted from his proceeds to purchase the stock. If a same-day sale, there should be no gain and probably a small loss equal to any commissions/fees he had to pay. But, an exercise of a stock option is not a sale, so find out if he owns the stock or sold it.