ATX Community

ATX SCAN & FILL

When I spoke with Gil Watts this morning (see my other notes regarding ATX TTO) he went on and on about ATX Scan & FIll program - now discounted from $695 to $400 (based on my TTO subscription) and with a free scanner.

Who on this board is using this? Is it now the best thing since sliced bread? Will it really save me time? Or is the time saved from keying in the w2/1099 information now replaced with time spent using the scanner and making new folders, etc?

Thanks,

Lynn Jacobs, EA

:blink::rolleyes: :huh:

We don't really know yet, Lynn. We are waiting for you to use it and report back to us !!! :P

I don't know if scanning in the W-2s is going to be worth that much, but for some practices it may be more valuable than others, especially those with lots of new employers, and new clients, etc. Since the advent of the Companies database, it is not that big a deal to type them in. But the scanner is a very useful tool, helpful in becoming more paperless. So it's your call whether you want it. What scanner are they offering?

I tried the sample they sent with the tax package and found that if you have a lot of new clients it may save you a lot of time if you are a slow typist. Also if you get w2 forms and 1099 forms that are not the standard it may not work. You have to calculate the time taken to scan the form then to convert it to ATX, it may or may not work for you. I was going to get it but the cost is way too steep, it is a shame that you have to buy the ATX document manager with it. I have no use for document manager I have my own system of managing my documents on my hard drive. And the least favorite thing is it is only good for one year, you have to purchase it again next year.

:angry:

• 2 months later...

I tried the sample they sent with the tax package and found that if you have a lot of new clients it may save you a lot of time if you are a slow typist. Also if you get w2 forms and 1099 forms that are not the standard it may not work. You have to calculate the time taken to scan the form then to convert it to ATX, it may or may not work for you. I was going to get it but the cost is way too steep, it is a shame that you have to buy the ATX document manager with it. I have no use for document manager I have my own system of managing my documents on my hard drive. And the least favorite thing is it is only good for one year, you have to purchase it again next year.

:angry:

How did you set up the structure to your document manager? Just curious because I am thinking about setting it up also. North Texas CPA

How did you set up the structure to your document manager? Just curious because I am thinking about setting it up also. North Texas CPA

I do not use document manager.

What I have done is in My Documents I have a folder named Clients, then a sub folder for each client by name, then sub folders for each year.

I use Paper Port to scan in the documents, then Adobe Acrobat to read them.

This seems to work out fine for me.

When I spoke with Gil Watts this morning (see my other notes regarding ATX TTO) he went on and on about ATX Scan & FIll program - now discounted from $695 to $400 (based on my TTO subscription) and with a free scanner.

Who on this board is using this? Is it now the best thing since sliced bread? Will it really save me time? Or is the time saved from keying in the w2/1099 information now replaced with time spent using the scanner and making new folders, etc?

Thanks,

Lynn Jacobs, EA

:blink::rolleyes::huh:

I don't have it, but it sounds like CCH should have called it SCAM & SWILL

Booger

I purchased scan and fill and have requested a refund. It does not recognize any 1099s, SSA forms, w2s etc. The elvaluation model seemed to recognize a w2, but the program did not. After several hours with support, they admitted it had some kinks!! The release was delayed and delayed--perhaps when it is improved it will work.