Don't mess with Taxes

ILLMAS

$200K Bond For Woman Who Shot Husband in Genitals

Prosecutors: Woman shot husband in genitals on I-57 over taxes, affair

OAK FOREST, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire) ―

Click to enlarge

1 of 1

CBS

An argument about taxes and an affair led a Country Club Hills woman to shoot her husband in the genitals as they fought on the shoulder of Interstate 57.

Yolanda L. Morris-Sheegog, 53, was charged with aggravated battery and aggravated battery with a firearm, according to Illinois State Police District Chicago Sgt. Joe Donley and a State Trooper.

The woman, of the 18000 block of Olympia Drive in County Club Hills, was ordered held Saturday on $200,000 bond, the Southtown Star is reporting.

About 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Illinois State police responded to a man shot in a vehicle in a domestic-related incident on southbound on I-57 just north of 167th Street, according to Illinois State Police District Chicago Master Sgt. Joe Stangl.

The vehicle, a red Chevrolet, was pulled over to the right side of the road when police arrived. There was no crash report made, and it did not appear the vehicle was involved in any crash before it pulled over, Stangl said.

Police found a man, 56, shot in the leg, Stangl said. The 53-year-old woman was the only other person in the vehicle.

Prosecutors allege the woman was riding with her husband in the vehicle when an argument began and she began to beat him with a phone book.

As he tried to defend himself, the woman allegedly pulled out a gun and shot him, prosecutors said. The bullet went through his genitals and his right leg, they said.

The man shot was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to Illinois State Police Trooper James Gawel, who did not know if the man suffered any other wounds or injuries.

The right lane was closed for less than an hour during the incident, Stangl said. Illinois State Police could not confirm the nature of the relationship between the two.

The woman's family declined to comment.

"Well, officer my wife & I had dinner at the club and we were heading down the freeway while she looked in the phone book for a place to get our taxes done. I preferred HRB, but she was leaning toward JH. Finally I suggested we compromise on the company that has the sharp looking babe on the corner wearing the raincoat and pointy-spiked hat, waving at me when I drive by every day. That's when my wife started yelling about suddenly realizing what I'd been up to and where the green threads stuck in my zipper came from. Next thing I knew she pulled the gun out of her purse and..."

When I first read the story, I imagined that the husband had already had the affair in 2009 and she wanted to file MFS. But when he went to get his return done, the preparer let him know all the moolah he was about to lose. I figured he persuaded his wife into filing MFJ, and they were on their way of getting it done. But she had second thoughts.

But I like JohnH's story better than my version.