ATX Community

NT Security Question

Terry D EA

My computer that I use for all of my tax and accounting business decided to go out to lunch on me the other day. Yes, I have a couple different methods of backup. I took the computer to the local computer store and the guy was great! However, here are my concerns:

1. All of the data on the hard drive was recovered and placed on a computer in his shop. This was done to be able to clone a new hard drive if we needed one.

2. The exisiting hard drive was able to be repaired somehow and all of the data was intact. Don't ask how cause I am clueless to how.

3. Now that everthing is back to normal, the computer is working better than ever andthe computer guy told me he would keep my data for a short time to be sure all is well. Now that doesn't help when working forward for a month if it craps again.

I did ask him about privacy issues and he stated the data was encryptyed (for his eyes only)and he would permanently delete it once we determined we do not need it.

I think my computer guy is 100% honest and is a person of integrity, should I take any additional steps to protect my clients and if so, what are they?

Would you go to the computer shop and tell the guy to delete the information and watch him to be sure it is done?

Fortunately, I have never been in this situation before so I am not sure as to any extra steps for privacy that should be done. Thanks for your help during this busy time. :)

Terry, I have a boiler-plate confidentiality agreement if you want to have him sign it. It's a bit of indemnification if something does happen. I have one in place with my IT person; all of my backup files are stored on a 'cloud' (or some such thing)at his office.

I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't know how to post it to the forum (I'm a luddite). I will email it to Terry. Perhaps he knows how to post. Maribeth, if you want to get me your email address, I'm happy to send it to you.

DISCLAIMER: It might be overkill for some of you, and some of it pertains to my legal/financial advising practice, so you might want to make changes. Hopefully, it will provide a good basis for getting started.

I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't know how to post it to the forum (I'm a luddite). I will email it to Terry. Perhaps he knows how to post. Maribeth, if you want to get me your email address, I'm happy to send it to you.

DISCLAIMER: It might be overkill for some of you, and some of it pertains to my legal/financial advising practice, so you might want to make changes. Hopefully, it will provide a good basis for getting started.

I will also put in a vote for uploading to the forum. If Maribeth doesn't know how -- send it to me and I'll try. I've managed to get a few things loaded correctly. [email protected]

Terry,

Ask the guy to delete the data and DON'T watch over his shoulder. If the guy wants to make your data talk, he already water boarded it or he already make 10 copies. Don't worry, most computer guys don't have time to see their own data, so they will not have time to see your own.