ATX Community

Does it matter

GeorgeM

I have a new client she came to me and gave me all her paperwork.

Two days later I was informed she was married and will file jointly.

I have already entered all her information in, my question is does it matter if her name comes first on the tax return and her husbands name second?

My problem is I use TaxWise and can't change the SS No. I will have to delete the return and start all over if the husband has to come first.

TIA

It doesn't matter. It's April; do what's easiest for YOU. I was told by an IRS liaison (after a client had sent in ES payments using the second name listed on the return) during an NAEA/CtSEA meeting that the IRS computers do a search on the primary SSN on the return to match up documents, ES payments, prior year balances due, etc., and then they do a second run on the secondary SSN. After all, they have to match the spouse's W-2s and other documents, also. You're probably more likely to confuse people (than computers) at the IRS if the names are in a different order in different years and you're calling about a carry back or forward. Besides, if this is their first year MFJ, then one of them was primary last year but will be secondary this year, no matter which way you list them!