ATX Community

Railroad Employees

ILLMAS

Just wondering if there is mileage allowance for railroad employees for going to/from work? I have a new client that is a railway controller, he travels close to 25 miles to get to work, I know that you cannot claim mileage for your drive to work and back home, but I wanted to know if there is an expection to railroad employees.

Thanks

MAS

Fuuny, my stepson (whop knows everything) tried to tell me that I should write off all of his commuting miles because he works on the railroad tracks. I told him that he should do his own return. All of his buddies told him that their preparer writes theirs off. He doesn't travel any farther than most people around here.

My husband used to work for the railroad. Gee - does this mean I should go back and amend for some mileage!!.. Just kidding. Commuting is commuting.

Anyway - most of these guys probably wouldn't have enough other deductions to get any benefit from it anyway. They just yak. Railroad workers are notoriously full of it. ( Remember what the railroad guys were like on "Polar Express" - the chubby one and the skinny one with all the hair. The guys my husband worked with looked just like that. My kids got a real kick out of it)