ATX Community

NT - Technical - Has anyone ever changed the Icon

Jack from Ohio

We have a network; server and 13 workstations. I would really like some instruction how to modify the Icon for this year's program so that it loads on all client computers when it is installed. I am not afraid to rework a file, or do registry changes, but I lack the knowledge about where and what to change in the program files to accomplish this.

I know we have some very techno-geek types here and I await the necessary information. I am reasonably computer savvy, but his is past my abilities.

We have a network; server and 13 workstations. I would really like some instruction how to modify the Icon for this year's program so that it loads on all client computers when it is installed. I am not afraid to rework a file, or do registry changes, but I lack the knowledge about where and what to change in the program files to accomplish this.

I know we have some very techno-geek types here and I await the necessary information. I am reasonably computer savvy, but his is past my abilities.

To change an icon is very simple, click on the ATX 2010, then right click on it, from the list go down to properites, then shortcut and on the bottom you will see "change icon". There isn't that many to pick from, I don't know why microsoft hasn't updated them, I remember some of these icons from the early 90's. After you have installed the software and every computer, you would have to go to each one and change the icon, I don't believe you can make a change at the server level and then pass it on to the rest of computers. Are you finding difficult to find the program when you have prior years on the desktop? This is what I do, I first arrange the ATX icons together 2005, 2006, etc.... and I move the current year to the upper right hand side of the screen because I know that is the icon I will be using most of the time. Hope this helps

To change an icon is very simple, click on the ATX 2010, then right click on it, from the list go down to properites, then shortcut and on the bottom you will see "change icon". There isn't that many to pick from, I don't know why microsoft hasn't updated them, I remember some of these icons from the early 90's. After you have installed the software and every computer, you would have to go to each one and change the icon, I don't believe you can make a change at the server level and then pass it on to the rest of computers. Are you finding difficult to find the program when you have prior years on the desktop? This is what I do, I first arrange the ATX icons together 2005, 2006, etc.... and I move the current year to the upper right hand side of the screen because I know that is the icon I will be using most of the time. Hope this helps

I was aware of how to change it on each workstation, but I was more interested in where the Icon graphic file is and if I could simply replace it with a modified icon file with the new design.

I have set up a folder labeled prior year ATX programs and moved all the shortcuts to that folder except for the current year and the year just before. I then have a short cut on my desktop to the prior year ATX programs. It reduces some of the cluttter on the desktop and it is very seldom that I go more than one year back on the programs. Someone mentioned some time back about changing the color of the entry field on the prior year programs so that you don't forget and think you are working on the current year when you have the prior year open. I have found that to be very helpful.

I was aware of how to change it on each workstation, but I was more interested in where the Icon graphic file is and if I could simply replace it with a modified icon file with the new design.

In prior versions of windows, there use to be a folder with icons, today you pretty much have to find them, I believe they are shell32.dll files, and they are all over the place, best bet is to search the internet for free icons and create a folder to easy access.

The icon is embedded in the executable for the program on the server, if I remember correctly.

It is possible to hack the exe and change the icon. I used to use a program called Resource Hacker to modify DLLs and EXEs to do everything from remove the obnoxious ads from MSN Messenger to change icons for programs. I'm not sure if it's still around and up to date or not. You might search Google for something like Replace Icon EXE DLL and you'll get a giant list of programs made specifically to do just that... just be sure to do a little homework so that you know what you're downloading is safe and reputable.

The problem is that every time you run a program update, it's going to replace the EXE with a new version containing the original icon. It's probably not worth the trouble, and would be easier to manually change the icon on each workstation so that you don't have to redo your work every time an update comes by.

If all of your workstations are mapped to the server with the same drive letter, maybe you could put the new icon on the server where all workstations can access it, create one workstation shortcut using the new icon, and then copy the new shortcut file to each workstation. That seems like the fastest way to put a shortcut on each workstation with a custom icon.