ATX Community

EA Exam and PTIN

Pacun

I applied for a PTIN today and I got a provisional number that will expire in a year (12-31-2011). I tried to schedule the EA exams but I couldn't. Did everybody get a provisional number and how long did you wait to get the final number?

I wonder when Prometric will get my info and allow me to schedule the exams.

I got my same PTIN but it was marked provisional. The guy I spoke to at IRS said it was because I didn't have any certifications. The provisional label will be dropped after I pass the test. But he said I can use the provisional PTIN for preparing taxes in 2011.

Hope that helps.

I got my same PTIN but it was marked provisional. The guy I spoke to at IRS said it was because I didn't have any certifications. The provisional label will be dropped after I pass the test. But he said I can use the provisional PTIN for preparing taxes in 2011.

Hope that helps.

This is exactly correct. The PTIN will stay "provisional" until the testing qualifications are met., unless you are an EA or CPA already. The number is accepted and allowed to be used for this filing season.

I have a welcome letter. There is nothing on that letter that says the number is provisional. It does say on the welcome letter the need to take a competency test given by the IRS. This test will be available soon after June 1, 2011.

If you go to the PTIN login website, click on the PTIN that is shown as yours, another box will come up that says the number is provisional and the date of expiration.