ATX Community

EIN #

tom777

Can I put my EIN as 16-124XXXX on my client returns and transmit to IRS ? This is for security my EIN.

Please advise ! Thanks

Tom

NY

I don't even think you will be able to create the efile that way.

But even if you can, I am 99.9% sure the IRS will Reject it because they actually verify identification numbers.

If you don't want to use your EIN, apply for a PTIN... that's what they are used for.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can replace your EIN with a PTIN - I think that they only replace SSNs. Unfortunately, your EIN is still going to be out there.

You are correct... the PTIN is to replace SSN's.

However, I believe most returns require an SSN or an EIN so if you had a PTIN, you could put that in the SSN line and leave the EIN blank.

That's for individual returns at least.

As far as business returns, I'm not sure what they require for preparer identification numbers... except that MA requires your EIN.

"Apply for a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) only if you are a paid tax return preparer and you do not want to disclose your Social Security Number (SSN) on returns you prepare. If you use a PTIN, you will meet the requirement under IRC section 6109(a)(4) of furnishing your identifying number on returns you prepare. The PTIN cannot be used in place of the Employer Identification Number (EIN) of the tax preparation firm."

IRS

I tried to do the test efile this am, and the check keeps coming back that the return needs an EIN.

I do not have an EIN as a sole proprietor/one person show here.

In the past, my efiles have gone through without needing the EIN - -I have tired putting in the PTIN, but no go.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Terry O

I tried to do the test efile this am, and the check keeps coming back that the return needs an EIN.

I do not have an EIN as a sole proprietor/one person show here.

In the past, my efiles have gone through without needing the EIN - -I have tired putting in the PTIN, but no go.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Terry O

How do you test efile without approval for Form Sch EIC. Right now I can't create Efile .

Tom777