ATX Community

NT- Don't cha love it

Karen Lee

I agree with bcolleen. But, don't get angry or defensive. Simply tell the person that you would be happy to review it but that would require you having to sign the return as the preparer and your fee would be the same as if you had prepared the return because the due diligence that the IRS require means that you will have the same amount of time in it that you would have had had you prepared it. Good luck!

Alternatively, depending mostly on how much time you have available, you might tell her you would be happy to look it over, but that if you find any errors, you will have to charge her your normal fees. You'd be surprised how often you can find an error that either would cause them problems or that would cost them money. If so, you get a happy client who is reminded that you are worth your fee, and don't really cost them that much, if at all. If not, you still have a happy ex-client, who will come back if things get complicated, and will be more likely to recommend you to her friends.

I had a situation like that a couple years ago. One of my clients referred a friend to me bc they had tried Turbo Tax and was having problems with sending the return. you see they tell you its free for federal but dont tell you there is a charge for efile of the state return. thats where they get you. Anywhoo, there were errors popping up on certain forms they filled out bc the questions the program ask are broad so you think all apply to you. I spent like an hour trying to figure out what was going on with the return, finally got it right but they wanted to take the efile fee out of the return which Turbo doesnt do....Go Figure!!!! So i explained that I could do it with my software but of course they would have to pay normal cost of the tax prep. Needless to say they appreciated the service and skill i showed in handling everything decided to let me do the return....got more money because they missed things with Turbo and are still my clients to this day!!! :D

• Like 1

Alternatively, depending mostly on how much time you have available, you might tell her you would be happy to look it over, but that if you find any errors, you will have to charge her your normal fees. You'd be surprised how often you can find an error that either would cause them problems or that would cost them money. If so, you get a happy client who is reminded that you are worth your fee, and don't really cost them that much, if at all. If not, you still have a happy ex-client, who will come back if things get complicated, and will be more likely to recommend you to her friends.

This is a great response and approach, KC.