ATX Community

NT - Computer problems

Wendy

I need to vent! I am totally frustrated. I tried to be pro-active & prevent problems for tax season and bought a new computer - Windows 7 64bit. Backed up everything - Ghost to external HD, individual flashdrive for some files, Carbonite. Transferred with PC Mover. ATX DocMgr wouldn't work - 4 hrs with tech support. They told me I had to get new version. New version arrived...still won't open. Meanwhile, bought QB2011 since it's the only version for Win7 - that crashes when I try to restore a backup. 2 calls with tech support - over an hour each - and finally got it working. Tried to restore another file tonight...........right.......CRASH. This tech support guy tells me to disconnect 2nd monitor (which last techie told me was not necessary). So frustrated I hung up. My brain is screaming. I'll try again tomorrow - after the last of the w2s and 1099s are out.

Do you have access to the old computer? I am not an expert, but I am going to guess your problem is your Windows 64-Bit version, I would recommend down grading to the 32-bit version. If you do a search, I recommended it someone here and posted instructions not so long ago, but you can also PM if you wish.

Marco

I need to vent! I am totally frustrated. I tried to be pro-active & prevent problems for tax season and bought a new computer - Windows 7 64bit. Backed up everything - Ghost to external HD, individual flashdrive for some files, Carbonite. Transferred with PC Mover. ATX DocMgr wouldn't work - 4 hrs with tech support. They told me I had to get new version. New version arrived...still won't open. Meanwhile, bought QB2011 since it's the only version for Win7 - that crashes when I try to restore a backup. 2 calls with tech support - over an hour each - and finally got it working. Tried to restore another file tonight...........right.......CRASH. This tech support guy tells me to disconnect 2nd monitor (which last techie told me was not necessary). So frustrated I hung up. My brain is screaming. I'll try again tomorrow - after the last of the w2s and 1099s are out.

I'm not sure if I had the same problem. I installed QB2011 on my new computer. I tried to copy the older QB versions to the new computer. Didn't work. I had to use the cd and reinstall. QB2010 seemed to go ok. But the earlier versions wouldn't install. Kept getting a message that a QB program was currently running. QB tech person told me to go to task manager/processes and end task for QB (such and such) with the 32 at the end of the file name. That worked.

As for restoring old QB files, I always put my client company files in my own filing system and not the QB default file (I could never find them that way). I have labeled them as to which QB version they are from. I do this because many clients don't upgrade their QB for years.

Not sure if this helps but just in case.

I am not a computer genius, but to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit, which I have running perfectly, you have to install all programs as new ones. Transferring them from an older version of windows will only create problems. I have ATX from 02 to 08 running on win 7 64 bit with no problems, had to install each seperatly.

I too called QB before buying a new computer. Was told QB 2010 and 2011 will run on 64-bit, but not earlier versions. She emailed me a couple of knowledge base articles about installing QB on 64-bit. My techie who was setting up my new system installed QB 2010 from the disks, also ProSystem fx 2009 and 2010 from the disks. CCH had told me what file to copy from old computer/backup to new computer (wfx32). I'd hoped to keep old computer to run older programs, but it's not salvageable, not economically. So, I will still have to deal with older tax programs as I already have some old returns needing to be prepped. My older tax programs were ATX, so hope I still have the disks (have moved my home office and swapped out some used furniture, meaning I boxed up lots of stuff during the shuffle) and can find them! My techie talked about "compatibility mode," so I'll deal with the older programs as I have to, probably with company support and my paid techie too.