ATX Community

HH question

Pacun

Grandmother made $40K.

Daughter made $12K and was 19 years old on 11-25-10 and NOT a full time students.

Daughter of daughter lived with them all year and was supported by grandmother more than 50%.

Can mother get EIC by filing single and claiming child?

Can Grandmother file as HH without claiming granddaughter?

Will mother of the child win the tie breaker against grandmother?

I am pretty sure I have the right answers but I want to check with the group and also share this info.

Grandmother cannot file as HOH without a dependent. She must file single

Daughter can claim daughter as a single filer as it would appears she did not pay for more than 1/2 of the upkeep of the home due to the fact she made approximately 1/3 of the grandmother's income. Question is can she claim ETIC as a single filer with a child?? Off the cuff I say no.

I don't see a tie breaker rule applying here.

let's see what others say

Grandmother cannot file as HOH without a dependent. She must file single

Daughter can claim daughter as a single filer as it would appears she did not pay for more than 1/2 of the upkeep of the home due to the fact she made approximately 1/3 of the grandmother's income. Question is can she claim ETIC as a single filer with a child?? Off the cuff I say no.

I don't see a tie breaker rule applying here.

let's see what others say

If I'm not mistaken, I believe she can claim EIC even though she is filing single.

Eli

Yes.

No.

Yes, parent always wins over non-parent when they're both eligible to claim the child.

How about this. Since granmother paid more than 50% of little girl. She is the ONLY one entitled to the exemption. If she doesnt' claim the exemption, NO ONE can take it. Is that correct?

If that's the case, can mother get EIC without claiming the exemption? At this point, grandmother will be able to get exemption, file as HH and get $1000 child tax credit. Correct?

Don't mix up qualifying child with qualifying relative or with HoH requirements re support. For the exemption, the child can't have paid more than half her own support. Grandma doesn't have to support grandchild; mother doesn't have to support child; as long as child is not supporting child.

Don't mix up qualifying child with qualifying relative or with HoH requirements re support. For the exemption, the child can't have paid more than half her own support. Grandma doesn't have to support grandchild; mother doesn't have to support child; as long as child is not supporting child.

OK. That brings me back to my original questions.

Grandmother made $40K.

Daughter made $12K and was 19 years old on 11-25-10 and NOT a full time students.

Daughter of daughter lived with them all year and was supported by grandmother more than 50%.

Can mother get EIC by filing single and claiming child?

Can Grandmother file as HH without claiming granddaughter?

Will mother of the child win the tie breaker against grandmother?

Is everyone in agreement with David1980?