ATX Community

What does "Duplicated" mean?

mcb39

I did check the E-file forum first. This AM I received two acks that say "return duplicated". Anyone have any idea what that means as I have never seen it before and have 120 accepted e-files so far this year.? I have faith that it will resolve itself eventually, but am curious. TIA

I did check the E-file forum first. This AM I received two acks that say "return duplicated". Anyone have any idea what that means as I have never seen it before and have 120 accepted e-files so far this year.? I have faith that it will resolve itself eventually, but am curious. TIA

I had one like this. Someone had already filed a return under my client's name and social security number. She thinks it was an old boyfriend. She had to mail in a paper return and file an identity theft form.

That is not the case here. These came back "Duplicated", not "Rejected". I recreated the e-file on both of them. One came back accepted; the other duplicated again. Looking through the list of my ackd e-files, they were indeed given DCNs that had already been used. Something has to be causing this.

That is not the case here. These came back "Duplicated", not "Rejected". I recreated the e-file on both of them. One came back accepted; the other duplicated again. Looking through the list of my ackd e-files, they were indeed given DCNs that had already been used. Something has to be causing this.

Do you have two places from where you efile? Home computer for friends or family for example.

I had one like this. Someone had already filed a return under my client's name and social security number. She thinks it was an old boyfriend. She had to mail in a paper return and file an identity theft form.

After 39 years in the business, also had my first Identity Theft issue. The phony return was filed a week before I e-filed the proper return. Poor soul....whoever filed the phony return was waiting on a refund over $8,000....hope he/she didn't spend the refund yet...phony refund is not going to happen even though IRS had already "accepted" the return....caught it 3 days prior to the direct deposit date. And, as your situation, my clients had to send a paper return.

Have a feeling we are all going to start seeing more of these. :mad: