ATX Community

Browse ATX *only* with IE!?

TaxCPANY

Everything I've learned about online security AND best browsing compels me to use either FireFox or Chrome, the past year; but ATX's portal (to Intelliconnect, too, for instance) won't accept anything but Windows' Internet Explorer.

I haven't even installed IE on the laptop I use, every night -- once I'm quit of crunching returns.

Just a rant; but, technologically, ATX tasks me with its blindered reliance on only one kind of browswer. If it still weren't so cheap, I'd so be outta it. Would I really have to pay 3-8x more to have *comprehensive,* tax-preparation software that 'gets with the program?'

Dreaming on, TaxCPANY

"but ATX's portal (to Intelliconnect, too, for instance) won't accept anything but Windows' Internet Explorer."

I just ignore the "IE" requirement and go on through with FireFox or Chrome, with no problems.

I have to use an IE tab in Firefox or I can't get through. The only thing I use IE for is Windows update stuff. It's got security flaws in it big enough to drive a truck through.

The final version of IE9 is out now, and it's quite a bit better than previous versions. It's only about 2 years behind the rest of the modern browsers in terms of standards compliance (instead of about 5 years behind)

The interface no longer has a kludge of ugly at the top of the screen.

And those are the only nice things I can say about it. If you're an IE user, I highly recommend an upgrade if you can. Windows XP isn't supported. If you're not an IE user, keep using what you're using because no matter what that is, it's likely better in almost every way.

Eric, are you saying that if we are using a Win XP computer, we should NOT upgrade to IE9? While I use Chrome for most everything, I do from time to time use IE because of my old personal hotmail.com account. Have not upgraded, but if it would cause a problem I will not. If it works ok on an XP machine, I probably will, when I get around to it.

Eric, are you saying that if we are using a Win XP computer, we should NOT upgrade to IE9? While I use Chrome for most everything, I do from time to time use IE because of my old personal hotmail.com account. Have not upgraded, but if it would cause a problem I will not. If it works ok on an XP machine, I probably will, when I get around to it.

Yep, that's exactly right. Internet Explorer 9 requires Windows Vista or Windows 7. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't let you install on XP even if you tried.

It's disappointing because as a web developer, I'd love everyone to be running the latest version of their favorite web browser. Internet Explorer's lack of standards support is really holding back innovation on the web, and making IE9 inaccessible to people using Windows XP certainly doesn't help.

>>pay 3-8x more to have *comprehensive,* tax-preparation software<<

I generally use Firefox with Windows 7. Tonight I was researching Checkpoint (not cheap software) for my reply to OldJack. I had to switch to IE to access the code history text. Microsoft is the standard because it works in all sorts of settings. Others may be better at this or that, but then not work so well with these or those.

If I were a programmer, I would write for IE too, because everyone has it. I wouldn't try to stay on the leading edge with Chrome or Firefox or anybody else. Why should I? My interest would just be whatever my own content is, not the fanciest features that most of my customers don't even bother about.

The security weaknesses in Internet Explorer are notoriorious. Chrome is by far the most secure browser. As witnessed in the recent Pwn2Own contest in which not a single hacker worldwide accepted Google's challenge of hacking Chrome for $25,000 prize money.

Internet Explorer and Apple Safari fell in 5 seconds.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2011/03/pwn2own-day-one-safari-ie8-fall-chrome-unchallenged.ars

Recently, a severe security hole in Adobe Flash was discovered. Adobe is still working on a patch. Google decided it was taking too long for it's taste and patched Chrome itself. It is now the only browser with Flash running securely.

http://www.slashgear.com/chrome-gets-flash-player-exploit-fix-ahead-of-rivals-21141290/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashgear+(SlashGear)

So yeah, Google Chrome is my browser of choice. ;) I also tried to get one of those Google CR-48 laptops running Chrome OS.. but alas.. Google didn't choose me. :wall: