ATX Community

Name on SSN

cantup

Good afternoon everyone!!!

can you give me some advise on this matter; when I create an efile a message appear at the bottom of the program (ATX):

The following e-file can not be created because name on SSN is too long.

How do you handle this kind of situation?

I already made some changes but the e-file was rejected because their records doesn't match theirs (IRS).

The SSN's of both taxpayers (mfj return) have a name and two last names on each one, besides her SSN has a middle name.

any help or advise is really appreciated!!!

Thank you

Pedro

Could it be that the social security number is not a number, rather it has a space before the numbers, or there is something wrong with the numbers as entered. It could be that the word "name" in the error means something wrong with the number and has nothing to do with the name of the taxpayers.

What I do is, I type the long lastnames and print everything and I give them their copies. Otherwise Marybeth Frederick-Hernandez and her husband Benustiano Hernandez-Martinez will think you made a mistake if you give their copies with Marybeth Frederic and Benustiano Hernande.

It has differred from year to year, but last year when I had a client with two last names I would have to remove the last of the last name and use the first of the last name and usually it went through like that. In the past especially if a hyphen was used that hyphen had to be there but like I said it seems to change from year to year.

Deb!

If I remember correctly, I would remove letters from the first name from right to left. If this didn't work I would do the same for the last name.

Eli

I have not run into this in a couple of years, but I remember like Eli. It was one field and the first - initial - last name all went into that field. If it was too long, you took out the initial, then all the letters but one in the first name, and then started pulling letters out of the last name. It may have changed.

Tom

Lodi, CA