ATX Community

Average Cost Basis

Tax Bird

I have a client who had two stock redemptions in 2010. They received no cost basis information with their 1099 B despite the fact that a note on the back of the 1099B said the average cost basis information had been provided.

When I called for the information, I was told that they would have to send out the account transcript (too large to fax) and I would have to figure that out. Plus, the soonest I could receive it is 3-5 business days.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I haven't done that many stock redemptions but usually cost information is provided, if not automatically, then when requested.

Can anyone provide any insight into why it might be that the fund manager wouldn't want to provide average cost information on a fund?

Probably because they haven't been the fund manager the whole time... I have exactly the same thing going on and at this moment am trying to figure it out with an excel spreadsheet. I have paperwork from three different company's spanning back to 1993 when originally invested.

I have one client who gets shares of company stocks as a bonus. She asked the broker for cost basis and was told that they DO NOT provide basis. Her company has used the same brokerage since they started doing this 3 years ago.

This job is starting to teach me which brokerages provide good service and which don't.

Had a client with inherited and gifted mutual funds. Fortunately, she is a long-standing client and came to me after she sold last fall, with all the printouts she could find/look up/scrounge. I figured the fund basis on all of them last fall and charged her a pretty penny for it, and was very glad this year to have that done and ready.

Another client has a managed account and trying to get an electronic copy of the data from them is like getting the Fed to stop monetizing the debt. They keep saying it's not possible (?!?! - are they nuts or just incompetent) & offering me pdf's of the current account status (with realized AND unrealized gains), which is useless. Or faxes of the end-of year statement (122 pages, and I already have TWO copies thank you very much). Yes, I could send the whole kit and caboodle with a Form 8453; can you imagine the mess I'd have to straighten later, after the IRS tries to go through and match up 122 pages of mixed accounts by hand? Plus the state?

Catherine

& offering me pdf's of the current account status (with realized AND unrealized gains), which is useless.

Catherine

I just got a PDF of a clients' statement from one of those stupid/incompetent brokerage firms. I found out there are a whole bunch of programs (some free) that will convert it to an excel spreadsheet and the one I downloaded and used worked well and was pretty easy to use.

Sorry guys. I would have told what program before but I cannot recommend it because I have no idea if this program is good but it worked for me once. It has a 14 day free trial and then it costs $100. It is called pdfconverter and if I figured out how to upload a file here is the install program. I found it at http://www.pdfconverter.com/

Ok never mind I cant attach a file damn it.