ATX Community

Amend HoH to MFJ

Eli

The husband has not filed returns for the past two years. The wife has filed HoH both years claiming their two sons. Now they are filing for bankruptcy & they are required to file joint returns. I've amended returns before where both parties originally filed HoH & changed to MFJ. Now I'm just a bit confused since the husband has not filed at all. Would the same steps be followed as if they had both already filed returns?

Thanks!

Eli

If she is not in your computer system for the amended years, create her the way she filed and make sure everything matches and save. Then...

Usually I open her return, pull down the file menu and select "amend" and add amended to her name. Change the 1040 from HOH to MFJ and add his info and income. Make sure to attach any schedule that changed and is required under the MFJ status. For 2009, make sure to include the "making work credit" form since it will change from $400 to $800, etc.

I don't use ATX, but if the return is not in my software, I don't try to recreate the original return (often it cannot be recreated if self-prepared with errors). I create the final return the way it should be, MFJ in this case. Then I call up an amended return but do not transfer the data to the "original" column A, let it stay in the "amended" column C. Then I type in the original numbers in column A and I'm done. I don't waste time trying to create a return that I did not prepare; I just use the original numbers needed on the 1040-X and nothing more from the original.

Yes, the original, errors and all, is reported on the amended as the beginning column. But, sometimes you cannot force your software to create the erroneous return, so why waste time trying and eventually overwriting when all you need is to get those original numbers into the first column. Just type them into the first column and be done with that part. Spend your time creating the amended return correctly.

If the return is in your system, then you let the process of creating the amendment move the original numbers to the first column. Then you make any and all corrections &/or additions and let your software put the amended numbers in the last column.

Where will you get the correct numbers from and type them on the rightmost column on the 1040X? From a 1040 form, correct? Why don't you let ATX shine and use it as a powerful tool.

The way I worked my amended returns, I only type on the 1040X, the explanation and a couple of check marks. All other numbers flow correctly to the columns of the 1040X by entering them on the 1040. Amending returns is one of the strongest features of ATX and why not take advantage of it. If your software is not that strong or you have not tested strongly on amended returns, please do so and maybe you can advise us on how to use it.

Of course the right column comes from your correctly prepared "1040" to be used on the 1040-X. I was responding to the poster who created the wrong 1040 in his software to duplicate the wrong 1040 that had been prepared elsewhere. If the original 1040 is not in my software, I don't waste time creating it. I create the amended 1040 and just type the original, incorrect numbers into the left column. I use the power of my software and my time to create the amendment and not to recreate the erroneous original. I use ProSystem fx, and it is very strong and very fast to amend returns in my system But I don't waste time creating an incorrect return that is not in my system; I create the correct, amended return and then just type in the column A numbers from the original return my new client brought in. I was taught a similar technique at HRB when amending returns not originally prepared at Block.

Whatever works the best for you, it is the best way of doing it. My way works best for me and that's how I use it. Most of the time, the erroneus return is easy to recreate AND don't make start with the state (for example, MD, which uses its own "1040X"), which will make my approach look better that yours.