ATX Community

1st Time Homebuyer Credit

Eli

Client purchased his 1st home in 2010. He had a signed contract before the April 30 deadline. He closed on the home before the due date as well. After he closed on the home, I amended his return to request the FTHC. About 2 months later he received a letter denying the credit because the IRS had received a 1098 under the client's name & SSN from a mortgage company. Checking with him I found that he owns an unimproved lot in Virginia. We got tax statements from the county tax accessor showing it was an unimproved lot with no structure on it. We sent that form in with an explanation on how it's just an open lot with no home. About 6 weeks later I call the IRS to check the status & they tell me they don't have a 1040X requesting the FTHC. So I ask how is it he received a letter saying he didn't qualify for it if they never received it?? Anyways we sent in the paperwork again this time including the tax office paperwork along with the rest of the forms. He just received another letter denying him the FTHC.

Any ideas what we could try next?

Thanks!

Eli

Try paperwork showing his primary residence was a rental (or lived with parents or whatever was his situation). Signed lease, canceled checks to landlord, drivers license and utility bills at apartment, etc. Include the vacant land stuff again as well.

I had the exact same situation with one of the 2007 claimants. He GOT the $7500 refund, but they wanted him to pay it back because he had paid property taxes on vacant land. I know we faxed them everything once and then called the person who had generated the Letter of Collection....the second time. We mailed them everything including the tax statement that clearly showed the words "vacant land" and the tax transfer paper showing when he sold it to his brother. It took about a year before he received a letter of apology. Of course, by then he was sorry that he hadn't waited another six months to purchase a home as in 2008 they got to keep the entire $8000 with no 15 year payback.

• 3 weeks later...