ATX Community

Letter formatting - any tips?

Catherine

Hi to all --

I do use the ATX client letters. I know how to edit up a template and format the letters the way I like (my firm information centered, one field deleted, another in boldface; no rocket science). And then start a new return from that template; hey-presto! -the letters are the way I want.

However, it is _royally_ annoying to have to manually re-do the letters for _rolled over_ returns.

Am I missing something obvious and stupid, like (for example) a way to open a rolled over return with a template and _not_ lose the rollover information?

Would really appreciate any clues.

Thanks!

Catherine

Well, I don't think it would work that way, but what you CAN do, after you have modified the Client letters the way you want them, is to roll over a return, delete the letters, then add the letters to the return. That will bring the 'new' modified letters into the return. It only takes a moment to delete the old ones, then adding the new ones is just a matter of clicking on the 'Forms' dropdown menu and selecting the 'client letter'.

I'm having trouble getting the letters to format correctly this year. Every year I've customized the letters, changing (among other things) the main font. This year, the instructions for the federal return are refusing to change. It looks fine in the edit screen, but when I save my results and open up a dummy return to look at them, it has several paragraphs of TNR in the middle. Anyone else figured out this one? Am I missing something obvious?

Just spent the past two hours working on customizing client letter, but it does not work. I two understand how to customize (have done for it for the past 7 yrs) in the master forms section, but most of the letter is not there to customize. I have come to the conclusion that they have changed something and it is not working. I guess it is back to tech support or as i found out the other night new customer service rep than when they get stump they transfer you to tech support.

cliff

1040PRO of AZ

When you are modifying the master of the client letter, click on letter wizard. Click thru the "next"s until you start seeing left and right arrow buttons in the upper right hand corner of the wizard window. On any screen with the arrows, use these to scroll thru the different paragraphs available in each section of the letter.