ATX Community

New Option - Site Supporter Subscription

ILLMAS

Here is an idea from another forum I participate in:

There is a cost associated in running a website we (the members) don't see, Erc has done a great job running this website and I wanted to suggest to Erc to create a sticky to allow members to donate $5, $10, $15 etc... to help maintain this website. Once a member makes a donation, they get a banner under their profile to show they are a site supporter. You can write off the expense as a membership or subscription (check with your tax preparer jk). Does anyone else agree with this to help out Erc?

MAS

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea. I like it. I don't care so much about the recognition, but if it will serve as a reminder to myself and others to keep contributing, then it will be a good thing.

Also, my tax advisor says it is definitely deductible - he told me while he was trimming my hair yesterday. But just to be sure, I'll get a second opinion when I go for an oil change later this week. Can't be too careful in this regulatory environment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NO, MAS; no 'merit badge' should be awarded to those of us who donate to Eric's site. That would conflate a hideous perversion of our professional collegiality with merely mercenary measures.

I for one don't post here for the deduction -- tho, of course, I claim it; but, rather, I do it to 'pay forward' the nuggets of wisdom which I harvest here and, perhaps-too-rarely, contribute to the rest of you.

I would like to continue seeing this unique site remain as welcoming to piss-poor, first-year students & practitioners as to its mega-earning gurus.

Eric is welcome to inferentially 'shame' my lapses by requesting contributions to his endeavor, whenever his budget bodes woe; but, in all cases, those of us who kick-in only should take comfort implicitly/out of a sense of duty or something synonymous with what *drives* us to serve our clients. None of us should need further recognition for solving our clients' tax problems than our solutions -- and the checks we get each time we 'do right.'

Our chat-group truly is real, but it is not a 'reality-show' by which our performances should be 'rated' by *anyone* except our fellows -- as has been happening for years before your suggestion.

Most expansively, philosophically, & truly yours, TaxCPANY.

• Like 1